S3 High flow cats

• Thread starter imported_glen_jai
  • Start date
I

imported_glen_jai

Hi,
Can anyone who's had a high flow cat fitted to their s3 or TT tell me if the 100 cpsi cat passes the mot emissions test, or do I need the 200 cpsi one?

Thanks,

Glen

I had 100cell cats which *just* passed the emissions test, and after a year or so kept bring on the engine check light due to "catalyst below effeciency". I know have 200 cell cats.

What cell type is the miltek, my 1st test due shortly, no dash lights tho after 15 months.

Hi mate, got a single 100 cell cat on my S3, same one as AndyTQ I believe. No check lights yet. Tell you about the emmissions in March though(first MOT)! As for performance, there was definitely an increase, whether it was worth the £500 for the d/pipe and cat I'm not sure. Haven't tested it so don't know how much increase. Plenty of open area though. Read a number plate through it ! There's a guy named Simon Elman got the d/pipe and cat by Hayward&Scott. Not sure whether he has the single cat though.

Chris.

Ive got Milltek sports cat... Not sure if its 100 or 200cpsi. I'll tell you about emissions as mine going to MOT next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Fingers crossed!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Ive got Milltek sports cat... Not sure if its 100 or 200cpsi. I'll tell you about emissions as mine going to MOT next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Fingers crossed!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know as I've got the same one as you!

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know as I've got the same one as you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it 100 or 200cell?

MOT is tomorrow morning... Ifs not within limits then i've got 2 weeks to do something about it... Dont know what mind!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
I've sent an email to Jon at Milltek to find out. I'll let you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... Cheers

Which one is the engine check light ? I have a direct flow cat in my 2001 s3? Does it cause problems except the emission tests?

[ QUOTE ]
Can said:
Which one is the engine check light ? I have a direct flow cat in my 2001 s3? Does it cause problems except the emission tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

Picture of an engine with a lightning bolt through it

Rich

Cool.

Thanks for finding out. MOT should hopefully be ok then!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
s3bow said:
Hi mate, got a single 100 cell cat on my S3, same one as AndyTQ I believe. No check lights yet. Tell you about the emmissions in March though(first MOT)! As for performance, there was definitely an increase, whether it was worth the £500 for the d/pipe and cat I'm not sure. Haven't tested it so don't know how much increase. Plenty of open area though. Read a number plate through it ! There's a guy named Simon Elman got the d/pipe and cat by Hayward&Scott. Not sure whether he has the single cat though.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright Chris,

what make is your down pipe and CAT? Is it 3"?

I thought the only people that made one of these for the S3 were APR?

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your response. I've heard that there isn't much performance to be gained in fitting one, so I might give it a miss, as it's not cheap at almost 900p for a Milltek.
Paul's probably right, it's change for the sake of changing.

Stevie,both our front pipe and cats were custom made by a stainless guy in cardiff.Stevie's i think is 3",mine is 2.5 inch front pipe and 3"cat into 2.75 "milltek.He has also done 2 LCR 's with a full 3" system,one 210 and a jabba 225 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

Hi Stephen, as AndyTQ said it was made by a custom exhaust builder in Cardiff called Z-Ex. It's 3" coming out of the turbo turning down and back towards the bulkhead. Space gets quite tight when it gets to the prop so it has to go to 2.5" for about 8" before opening out to 3" into the cat. Cat is Rosi as used by GGR. APR one is a bit expensive I think.
As I said previously there's a guy called Simon Elman with quite a powerful Imola you probably know had his d/pipe made by H&S. Worth calling them to see if they made a pattern. Maybe Z-Ex could make a jig from mine. Think they would probably want about 600 for d/p and cat. Sounds better than a grand+vat. Problem is the car was never put on a rolling road after I had it mapped so I probably wouldn't know how much it gives. Def feels better though.
Hope this helps, even if it is a bit vague.

Chris.

S3bow,

thanks for the reply. Do you have there number?

Also, who chipped your car? Did they chip it to take into account the d/p or was it an off the shelf remap?

Sorry about all the questions, just very interested in this subject!

Stevie

Stevie, the number is 02920455265. Haven't had the car mapped to suit the d/pipe yet, probably make a fmic first although I'm not sure the gains a custom map would produce would make a great difference on the road. Ten horse power on the road probably wouldn't be a major increase in performance. Having said that the car has a Superchips file which isn't held with a great deal of regard with some on here. 1.5 bar peak settling to 1.1-1.3. Have to get the car on a rolling road,get some figures.

Chris.