Boost controller yes or no??

bp1984

Reaction score
And, to be fair, it won't work well anyway. The standard map expects x amount of boost. You change the boost delivery to y. The ECU sees the change, calculates it is getting more than it has requested, and hits limp mode.

yea, avoid boost controllers on a standard car.

I tried it on mine years ago, and whilst it made it MUCH faster, it ran lean, ran rough, ran hot, and was surgey as hell and awful to drive on part throttle.

All round BAD idea.

Remaps are only £250 these days!

The ecu will just dump ALL the boost its making to protect the engine. Dont do it you wont see any gains more likely to see worse performance.

The ecu will just dump ALL the boost its making to protect the engine. Dont do it you wont see any gains more likely to see worse performance.

No, this isn't true.

you WILL see performance gains, but it's a very bad idea.....

being a 98 1.8T it'll be an AGU engine, they don't have a map sensor, and the DV is 100% mechanical, so aside from the N75, the ecu has no control over boost.

If you fit an MBC, even inline with an N75, there is no way the engine will be able to dump any boost at all. All it can do is pull out timming when it see's knock and hope for the best!

Not safe

No, this isn't true.

you WILL see performance gains, but it's a very bad idea.....

being a 98 1.8T it'll be an AGU engine, they don't have a map sensor, and the DV is 100% mechanical, so aside from the N75, the ecu has no control over boost.

If you fit an MBC, even inline with an N75, there is no way the engine will be able to dump any boost at all. All it can do is pull out timming when it see's knock and hope for the best!

Not safe

Agreed, the AGU calculates boost via airflow and TB angle. It's actually surprisingly accurate.

Both my AGU A3 and the S3 when using MBCs, under an overboost condition cut the spark to the coil on cylinder number 1. This stops the engine being used at all until you turn off ignition.

When you take away the ability of the ECU to control boost, it will stop you from using the engine in another way if it deems necessary for self protection.