Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

put 3 litres of oil in my car for a service and dipstick is bone dry...any ideas???

hi i recently serviced my car myself and i changed the oil and filter.. i put 3 litres of oil in and ther is still nothing showing on the dipstick if left to stood still. there is definately oil in it because the sensor hasnt gone off but im just confused at why there is nothing on the dipstick???? any ideas?

after its been running you can see the oil thats been splashed onto it but after a wipe nothing shows.

is it just not enough oil..im just being cautious cause i dont want to over fill it.

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Doesnt the a3/s3's take 5 litres, ot is it 4.5 litres!
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Reverse Gear

Status
    im not sure i have a3 1.8t i just thought after putting 3 litres in there would be something on the dipstick unless its very close tolerances that it measures...i was just being cautious proper confused me haha

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    3 litres doesnt fill the 1.8T iirc, my S3 used to take 4-5 iirc as I used to swear at the cost as you got 4 litre can for cheaper than individual 1 litres, so had to buy the 5th poxy one at the extortionate price.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    ok so if i put 4 litres in it should hopefully show on the dipstick? thanks for you help guys

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Put another litre in, check the dipstick and top up as required id say.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Reverse Gear

Status
    cool thanks alot mate ill try that.

1st Gear

Status
    did mine the other day........... it took about 4.5l just add another litre, should sort it.

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    scary man! if your not sure ask before you start!.. 1.8t takes 4.6 litres of oil im suprised no one else has said this already before me.

Ross_S4

Status
    The 1.8T will take more than 3 litres mate, iirc it is 4.6litres! You ran this when there was no oil showing on the dipstick???

Reverse Gear

Status
    it was only at idle just wanted it to fill up the filter...im going to put another litre in tomorrow and see if anything appears...the car hasnt moved since...dont want it dying on me....always sods law that your car holds more oil than what comes in the bottle

4th Gear

Status
    it wont show anything with 4 liters, to get it in half on the dipstick you require 4.5L regardless of which 1.8t engine it is. even at idle you are causing damage to the engine.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    no offence but wouldnt, anybody put more oil in if it is still not showing? the dipstick is a probe that sits in the sump so if it is dry there is not enough oil to register??
    like kev says its best to get some info before doing jobs or it could turn into a nightmare .....quick, the turbo and oil are best friends and dont like to be apart...

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    well i remember someone saying to me that you have like 3-4 litres below the dipstick marker and the whole marker of the dipstick is literally 1 litre.

So judging by the above. 3.6 litres below dipstick plus 1 further litre which shows on the dipstick

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    jesus man. a bit of common sense needed here I'm afraid.

What's the worst that happens if you over fill it? You pull the plug and drain a bit off.

what's the worst that can happen if under filled? the top end and shells run dry and the engine is scrap.

if there's NO oil showing on the dipstick, there isn't enough in it! DONT START IT. AT ALL. EVER.

Also, wanted to fill the filter? you should ALWAYS pre fill the oil filter as best you can before it goes on. otherwise you're running with NO oil circulation whilst the filter fills in the first few seconds of running.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Also, wanted to fill the filter? you should ALWAYS pre fill the oil filter as best you can before it goes on. otherwise you're running with NO oil circulation whilst the filter fills in the first few seconds of running.
    Very good point made here!!!!

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    4.6litres

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    blimey, i didnt look at the post as thought the first reply must have answered it
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold