put 3 litres of oil in my car for a service and dipstick is bone dry...any ideas???

kooch_481

Reaction score
hi i recently serviced my car myself and i changed the oil and filter.. i put 3 litres of oil in and ther is still nothing showing on the dipstick if left to stood still. there is definately oil in it because the sensor hasnt gone off but im just confused at why there is nothing on the dipstick???? any ideas?

after its been running you can see the oil thats been splashed onto it but after a wipe nothing shows.

is it just not enough oil..im just being cautious cause i dont want to over fill it.

thanks

Doesnt the a3/s3's take 5 litres, ot is it 4.5 litres!

im not sure i have a3 1.8t i just thought after putting 3 litres in there would be something on the dipstick unless its very close tolerances that it measures...i was just being cautious proper confused me haha

3 litres doesnt fill the 1.8T iirc, my S3 used to take 4-5 iirc as I used to swear at the cost as you got 4 litre can for cheaper than individual 1 litres, so had to buy the 5th poxy one at the extortionate price.

ok so if i put 4 litres in it should hopefully show on the dipstick? thanks for you help guys

Put another litre in, check the dipstick and top up as required id say.

did mine the other day........... it took about 4.5l just add another litre, should sort it.

scary man! if your not sure ask before you start!.. 1.8t takes 4.6 litres of oil im suprised no one else has said this already before me.

it was only at idle just wanted it to fill up the filter...im going to put another litre in tomorrow and see if anything appears...the car hasnt moved since...dont want it dying on me....always sods law that your car holds more oil than what comes in the bottle

it wont show anything with 4 liters, to get it in half on the dipstick you require 4.5L regardless of which 1.8t engine it is. even at idle you are causing damage to the engine.

no offence but wouldnt, anybody put more oil in if it is still not showing? the dipstick is a probe that sits in the sump so if it is dry there is not enough oil to register??
like kev says its best to get some info before doing jobs or it could turn into a nightmare .....quick, the turbo and oil are best friends and dont like to be apart...

well i remember someone saying to me that you have like 3-4 litres below the dipstick marker and the whole marker of the dipstick is literally 1 litre.

So judging by the above. 3.6 litres below dipstick plus 1 further litre which shows on the dipstick

jesus man. a bit of common sense needed here I'm afraid.

What's the worst that happens if you over fill it? You pull the plug and drain a bit off.

what's the worst that can happen if under filled? the top end and shells run dry and the engine is scrap.

if there's NO oil showing on the dipstick, there isn't enough in it! DONT START IT. AT ALL. EVER.

Also, wanted to fill the filter? you should ALWAYS pre fill the oil filter as best you can before it goes on. otherwise you're running with NO oil circulation whilst the filter fills in the first few seconds of running.

Also, wanted to fill the filter? you should ALWAYS pre fill the oil filter as best you can before it goes on. otherwise you're running with NO oil circulation whilst the filter fills in the first few seconds of running.

Very good point made here!!!!

blimey, i didnt look at the post as thought the first reply must have answered it :)