Milltek exhaust fitted to A3 (with S3 rear bumper)

Reaction score
I paid a visit to Nick at R-Tek today after speaking to him about getting an exhaust for my car. He had previously looked underneath the car and had a few ideas on how it could work.

Once on the ramp, the exhaust was removed completely (after having to gently remove one nut on the flange to the turbo which was a troublesome little fatherless child). He used a boroscope (sp?) to have a look inside the turbo once the front pipe/cat was removed - all was looking good:thumbsup:

He then fitted the rest of the system to the car and after a few tweaks to a hanger, he managed to get the exhaust to fit without knocking / rubbing. I got plied with coffee throughout the time that I was there, the service was excellent and the price was better than expected - bonus.

I also took the opportunity to take Nicks own car, a standard Golf 4 GTI with a remap that he had written himself recently (allowing for it to run to 8K rpms!:sign_omg:). This thing flew, and I mean really flew.

It's what you would expect a bigger turbo to achieve in terms of holding a decent level of boost throughout the rev range, it kept me stuck to my seat right up to 7.5k (I didn't have the balls to quite push it to 8K despite Nick telling me to 'give it some and don't let go till you reach 8K'). Big respect to Nick and the boys, it's not often that you hear about the good services received from companies, we always seem to hear about the bad so this is my way of redressing the balance :applaus:

(I'll post some pics up when I can get them off my phone...)

Sounds awesome dude, already read this over on ukmkivs last night. Most impressed. I'll be getting Nick to fit a milltek to mine when I go up there for a stage 2 map on the A3.

One very small thing to point out, if you're trying to put business or praise Nicks way, R-tek and R-tech are two totally seperate companies! The one you went to being the later :)

Sounds awesome dude, already read this over on ukmkivs last night. Most impressed. I'll be getting Nick to fit a milltek to mine when I go up there for a stage 2 map on the A3.

One very small thing to point out, if you're trying to put business or praise Nicks way, R-tek and R-tech are two totally seperate companies! The one you went to being the later :)

I'm always doing that, R-Tech is the right one.... my bad.

Nick mentioned that you had called, you must have called at exactly the same time as I was having my exhaust fitted. I'm trying to get the pics off my phone, stoopid Crackberry phone, should have them up soon. I compared my exhaust with a real S3 exhaust and mines sits a little further out than the original one by about 4cm, otherwise it's perfect. Noise wise it's a tiny bit louder but only when accelerating, when cruising you wouldn't know it wasn't standard. I have noticed the slightest of knocks when fully loaded with passengers, Nick did warn me that if this was the case, he will sort it out, I'm just gonna let the new rubbers (hangers) stretch and settle before I take it back for tweeking.

When I spoke to Nick today, he was fitting a THS FMIC to his 8K screamer...

The Milltek is my favourite part of my car, they sound so sweet!

I need to give nick a call soon. Waiting for replies to pm's on ukmkivs is pointless!

Did you get a resonated or non res system? I can't decide which to get at the mo, I had a non res system on my old car with a 3" dp and decat and it was a bit loud, but I'm wondering if that's just due to the system being almost 80 000 miles old!

New car also has decay, so I'm unsure

I need to give nick a call soon. Waiting for replies to pm's on ukmkivs is pointless!

Did you get a resonated or non res system? I can't decide which to get at the mo, I had a non res system on my old car with a 3" dp and decat and it was a bit loud, but I'm wondering if that's just due to the system being almost 80 000 miles old!

New car also has decay, so I'm unsure

I got the resonated version, didn't fancy a chavvy sounding noise and having to spend money on achieving it. Resonated is slightly more expensive - but worth it. I've heard the non-resonated versions on a few Golf 4's and didn't like any of them, too much noise IMO.

BTW - give them a call instead of sending PM's (or message them directly through their website), Nick's rarely at the computer (mostly busy getting his hands dirty under the bonnet of a customers car), speak to Pip, he'll look after you.

Last edited:
glad you didnt say you had an 80k old 2.5" DP and sports CAT Nick :)

Nah, I wouldn't lie to you TImmy :)

I had the catback system from a chap on ED38 almost 2 years before I picked up your downpipe from a guy with a toledo over on UKMKIVS, it was originally bought and fitted by Star performance.

I'll get a few more bits together than give Nick/pip a shout when I'm a bit closer to ready! Driving it today I REALLY need the stage 2 now, I can feel the potential with the 3'' DP just waiting to be released!

Pics as promised, unfortunately the one showing the tailpipes once it was fitted is the only one I couldn't recover so I'll take some pics tomorrow and put em up:

Milltek3.jpg

Milltek4.jpg

Milltek2.jpg

Milltek1.jpg

(Mods - please re-size if too large, I tried and failed....)

Blimey, that's a decent idea, extending the hanger with a bit of rod. I'm amazed it's moved over far enough though, considering there's a spare wheel well in the way!

Very impressed indeed. Nick really knows his stuff doesn't he?

The rod doesn't need to be that long, it can be trimmed down once fitted. In all fairness, the space between the spare wheel well and rear silencer is tight but Nick has fitted it in well, I haven't heard it knock / rattle (he did tweak the aluminium heat shield too before fitting. The rod is actually a threaded bar that allows for some side to side adjustment for a better fit :applaus:

Nick certainly knows his stuff (he did time working at a tyre / exhaust centre many moons ago so the experience in that trade helps).

Final pic of tailpipes:

Milltek5.jpg

Last edited: