DIYT fitting rear shocks and springs, 2002 S3

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Presume this is just as easy as when I did it on my old Clio? Bolt at the top, bolt at the bottom for the shocks and springs basically fall out of the rubber mounts when the shocks aren't attached?

Is it worth replacing anything else while I have the back end of the car up (shock mounts/spring seats) etc?

if sticking with standard ride hight then thats it! if lowering then lower tie arms are always advised

From memory the spring still requires clamps to be used, although I was only replacing the spring so cant remember if I removed the bottom bolt of the damper to drop the wishbone. I might have just jacked the car up removed the wheel and clamped the spring to remove it then recalmed the new spring to install it

Last edited:
ive heard you can lever the ?trailing arm? down and remove the spring without compressing it

if sticking with standard ride hight then thats it! if lowering then lower tie arms are always advised

Just OEM parts fella, so yes.

From memory the spring still requires clamps to be used, although I was only replacing the spring so cant remember if I removed the bottom bolt of the damper to drop the wishbone. I might have just jacked the car up removed the wheel and clamped the spring to remove it then recalmed the new spring to install it

Cheers buddy, that about answers it from the above.

Any ideas on the bolt sizing? Not urgent, but be useful!

vag cat shows it being an M14 bolt, going by this conversion chart its 21mm or 22mm socket required I think Metric Nut, Bolt, Screw, Washer Threads, Dimensions, Sizes, Tap Drill Size, Hole Size,

I dont think you can get away with levering down the trailing arm on the S3 due to the wishbone (4 wheel drive remember) I think i did remove the bottom bolt to fit the spring, once I fitted the new spring I think I used a car jack to push the wishbone back up to line up with the damper to refit the bolt.

See what the price of spring mounts/caps are if there not much its probably worth replacing, although I dont think I bothered although I was only replacing the one spring that had snapped. upper base 1J0512149H lower stop 1J0511155D lower washer 1J0511341A, these were for a 2000 reg, if you use www.vagcat.com you can check for your year

Appreciate both replies guys and the links. Should be easy but can never have too much info on something new to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy as pie, rear spring doesn't need compressing, a good bit of old fashioned he-man power will pull it out.

How about utilising the fact that it's in bits ;)

JD09 -

On your nearside rear lower track arm you will have a headlight level sensor clamped onto it.
It is important you disconnect this BEFORE dropping off your damper else you will break the plastic arm on the sensor.
There is a ball joint each end of the sensor linkage u can split, or unbolt the bracket from the lower arm, either way is fine.

rossbrownlee said:
JD09 -

On your nearside rear lower track arm you will have a headlight level sensor clamped onto it.
It is important you disconnect this BEFORE dropping off your damper else you will break the plastic arm on the sensor.
There is a ball joint each end of the sensor linkage u can split, or unbolt the bracket from the lower arm, either way is fine.

Really appreciate this buddy, I know about it but hadn't thought about it!