New sump or not....

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Just getting all my parts together (still on going :) haha) and i going to clean the sump out, now i thought by the time it takes to clean the sump it's still not going to be new is it and i know for a fact its had some exterior "cough" i ran over a layed now pole "cough" :), was an accident.
Anyway, would either of these 2 be worth while:

OIL SUMP PAN 1.8 TURBO VW GOLF MK4 AUDI TT A3 + S3 on eBay (end time 29-Sep-10 12:50:09 BST)

VW GOLF MK4 BORA AUDI TT S3 A3 1.8 TURBO SUMP PAN C429 on eBay (end time 20-Sep-10 10:10:39 BST)

The second one seems a better bet.

I was concidering a baffled sump but i dont know if i can justify the extra cost.

id get a new one, i only replaced mine because the threads on the plug wer ********, otherwise i would have just cleaned it. so if you've smashed it up then you probably should. both those sumps are probably the same, both be equal quality, cant be much difference, i got the second one and i wasnt dissapointed

It isnt to the point of leaking etc, it's just had a few knocks and its 10 years old too, thought for the sake of £50, id pay that to have it cleaned lol.

So you went for the second one karl?

yep second one was fine. had no leaks at all and the plug is nice and solid. make sure you get some good gasket glue stuff tho aswell. Can be a pain to fit tho, two bolts are a ****** to reach. i still managed it on the drive though.

i said the word 'though' far too much! lol

thats good to know. i was wary of the quality but seeing as people have tried and tested them i may go for one. i could clean my original and stick it on ebay i suppose.

thats good to know. i was wary of the quality but seeing as people have tried and tested them i may go for one. i could clean my original and stick it on ebay i suppose.

I'd be keeping it as a hot spare. 1.8T sumps are notoriously low to the floor.... A spare one not a bad thing to have lying around. I have one!

I'd be keeping it as a hot spare. 1.8T sumps are notoriously low to the floor.... A spare one not a bad thing to have lying around. I have one!

true, it would be a bad thing to have kicking around.

What havn't you got lying around lol

How much would a baffled sump be?

If you do a lot of "fast cornering" (!) or a bit of track use, it's going to be invaluable...

Tim, ball's, haha.

Well thats the thing, at what point do you need a baffled sump? I use the car mainly for fast road use at the moment, not doing any track days until its up to spec.