External temp dispay on dash

dave254

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Thought this may be of use to someone out there. I spent most of yesterday trying to work out how to turn on the outside temp display on my A3 (type 8l) which has the low line dash (no DIS) after searching around a few other people have had this problem but noone has found a solution. All A3's should be able to display it, so heres the fix. I used VAG COM 3.1 but should work with any version!

Plug in vag com cable
turn ignition on etc
Goto select control module
Select 17-Instruments
Click on 10-Adaptation
type in 19 in the channel selection, and click read
make a note of current readings
On the second digit from the end, e.g. xxx?x it should be reading 0. Replace the 0 with 1 and then save, go back.
Remove cable start ignition tada!

The outside temp should now be displayed.

Dave

P.S. usual disclaimer, do it to your vehicle at your own risk, if you make a balls up of it your problem not mine!:wacko:

Oops, forgot to add. While you have channel 19 up you can also alter the lighting settings for the dash. It is the first digit. i.e. ?xxxx. Options are as follows; 0 - Needle and Scala only active at 'Light on, 1 - Needle already active at 'Ignition on',2 - Scale already active at 'Ignition on'
3 - Scala and Needle at "ignition on" active

In other words, if you put a 0 in the dash will only light up when you put the lights on, put a 3 in and they will be lit up all the time

Great info, not seen this before. Did it today with Vag-Com 3 and worked great. Also added the alarm to chirp when locking, anti hijacking and 1 touch unlocking so the passenger door stays locked unless you press twice.

I want to add anti-hijacking and 1 touch unlocking to my S3 -can you let us know what codes are needed for that?

I used this site, and got the little program and put in my base code. It then says what you've already got on, then tick what else you want and it will give you your new code to program in.

This doesn't work for me, channel 19 comes up with the balloon tips etc, but this section only allows for 1 digit entry?
What am I doing wrong?