Brake pad/disc replacement guide?

doublem_1

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the front brake pads and maybe discs on my A3 TDI Quattro. I was just wondering if anyone has been so kind to make a how to guide on doing it. Or maybe even just a list of what tools are needed would be great.

Pay someone to do it if you need to ask how.....

Very understandable reply above, brakes save your life plain and simple.
However, everyone has to learn sometime / somehow. Do you have any mates /family etc that are handy with the tools? can you get someone with a bit of experience to do it with you and show you the ropes?
Since u have the a3 I assume the Haynes manual will cover it, other than that you could get a copy of Elsawin off fleabay. I did that for mine and it has been excellent with all the information u could ever want and more (at least for an amateur / enthusiast).

Sorry guys if I came across a bit amatuerish, I have replaced pads and discs on my previous cars, fiesta and mondeo. But they were fords and very easy. I just thought there might be a bit more to it with the A3

Sorry mate misunderstood your post, didn't mean to sound condescending.
No, there's nothing really more complicated than with other cars.

I am at work just now so don't have elsa and can't remember totally but iirc it is 7mm hex bit for the caliper slider bolts and it is 17mm a/f socket for the caliper carrier bolting to the hub. I used a caliper tool to retract the pistons but a g clamp will work fine for the fronts. Sure someone can let u know the torque specs for fitting the carrier and caliper back on.

I used a spare bit of twin & earth cable to support the caliper while it was off, tied it round the spring.

Ok now worries, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I just need to buy the parts, a torque wrench and a 7mm hex bit and I'll be ready :)

Im on dot 4 with brembos, the stuff Tuffty uses.