!!!!!Possible bought stolen car HELP!!!!!!

elvo

Reaction score
hi everyone i need some advice asap please.

I bought my s3 on the 9th of august this year and the other nite i had a police man come to the door at 1030pm. He came and and said the car was reported stolen :( on the 6th of june and gave me a letter to say i cant sell it or damage it and stuff like that.

I told him that i have the v5 the mot and i bouight tax for it last week. The v5 is a real one as the first one that was sent out my name was slighlty spellet wrong so i went to the post office were the women changed it for me and sent it to the dvla. Iv also driven the car past 2 VOSA vans and loads of traffic cops so shurly there system would have come up as stolen? i told the officer this and he sounded supried that i hadnt been pulled over. He also told me i wasnt in trouble and that i can keep driving the car as long as i keep the letter with me so now iv got to keep the v5, mot, insurance and this letter with me all the time.

I done a vehical check on the car and nothing came up as being wrong with it so m really struggling to understand how this may have happened?

Im still waiting to hear from the police officer thats dealing with this but i would like to know were i stand in this? weather im going to get to keep the car or not. I think i will ose the car money that i paid for it but i was wondfering if anyone can give me advice on what to do next it would be much appreiated?

thanks

Contact the DVLA & have you verified the copper was genuine by calling the station he's from or even visiting the station to verify the letter is indeed genuine & on record?

Unlucky to hear that, if it's been stolen then unfortunately you may find you lose the car and getting the money back is going to be a problem. Do you have any contact details from where you bought it? Was it a dealership or private sale?

Unfortunately V5 documents aren't entirely proof of ownership as you can quite easily get hold of one for any car if you contact the dvla.

Also make sure you have the officers details and make sure he wasnt a majour con artist trying to steal your car.

Contact the DVLA & have you verified the copper was genuine by calling the station he's from or even visiting the station to verify the letter is indeed genuine & on record?

yeah mate i phoned the police station the next day that the letter came from and it is genuine. totall s#itter like as im sure iv lost the money and car but im just struggling how i got the v5, how i got insurance on it and how i could tax a "stolen" car??

When you did the checks did you get an HPI Guarantee as such?

What check did you do on the car?

I would assume some querrie as to who owns it,otherwise i am sure they would have taken it there and then. So i would wait it out, and see what happens.

I saw a case where someone had a cloned car, and they ended up buying "their" car back from the original owners insurance as the ins co had paid out on it so the ins co offically owned it.

So dont fret until a flatbed turns up

Unlucky to hear that, if it's been stolen then unfortunately you may find you lose the car and getting the money back is going to be a problem. Do you have any contact details from where you bought it? Was it a dealership or private sale?

Unfortunately V5 documents aren't entirely proof of ownership as you can quite easily get hold of one for any car if you contact the dvla.

Also make sure you have the officers details and make sure he wasnt a majour con artist trying to steal your car.

it was a private sale and iv tried to contact him but no answer, its not looking good tbh.

When you did the checks did you get an HPI Guarantee as such?

I dont the chech the day before i bought the car and cant mind if it was HPI Gurantee

What check did you do on the car?

I would assume some querrie as to who owns it,otherwise i am sure they would have taken it there and then. So i would wait it out, and see what happens.

I saw a case where someone had a cloned car, and they ended up buying "their" car back from the original owners insurance as the ins co had paid out on it so the ins co offically owned it.

So dont fret until a flatbed turns up

I think thats will happen TBH but the problem is i dont really have the money to pay another couple of grand to buy the car again. just so sh#t like

Hpi guarantees to a certain extent so get a copy of that report, also it is possible the previous owner is ******* around and reported it stolen?

you have keys, documents etc, did you buy the car from the same address as the logbook was registered?

Sorry to hear what has happened. Unfortunately HPI checks are a waste of time - people seem to take them as gospel but they are often completely wrong. You are better off contacting the organisations directly than let HPI do it.

I had a car stolen and recovered. When it was all sorted out I paid for an HPI check to make sure everything was clear - it came back clear and I was happy that all parties had done what they'd said they would.

6 months later I went to put a personal plate on the car and the DVLA said no - car was showing as stolen? So how on earth HPI could have said it was clear when the DVLA database said it was stolen.... I complained to HPI and they refused to even refund the money I'd paid for the check.

Basically the only cover/option you have is to try and get hold of whoever it was you bought the car from. If it was/is stolen then you have a Civil case against them, but won't have any claim to the car... even with keys/V5. The problem with DVLA/HPI etc is that their databases aren't always up to date. The car was reported stolen only 3 days before you bought it, so the record might not have reached the proper channels by the time you had the checks done. What is weird is that ANPR didn't pick you up, but the VOSA vans might have just been looking for speeders/making their presence known without actually doing anything.

Bottom line - hope someone's made a mistake somewhere, but prepare to lose the car and maybe not see your money again either. Sorry, but sounds like you've just been unlucky on this one.

Basically the only cover/option you have is to try and get hold of whoever it was you bought the car from. If it was/is stolen then you have a Civil case against them, but won't have any claim to the car... even with keys/V5. The problem with DVLA/HPI etc is that their databases aren't always up to date. The car was reported stolen only 3 days before you bought it, so the record might not have reached the proper channels by the time you had the checks done. What is weird is that ANPR didn't pick you up, but the VOSA vans might have just been looking for speeders/making their presence known without actually doing anything.

Bottom line - hope someone's made a mistake somewhere, but prepare to lose the car and maybe not see your money again either. Sorry, but sounds like you've just been unlucky on this one.

I bought my s3 on the 9th of august this year....reported stolen :( on the 6th of june

2 months n 3 days to be precise:icon_thumright:

Hpi guarantees to a certain extent so get a copy of that report, also it is possible the previous owner is ******* around and reported it stolen?

you have keys, documents etc, did you buy the car from the same address as the logbook was registered?

yea the car was bought from the address the logbook was registred at. Im begining to think the guy is trying to pull a fast one but the dealing police officer has contacted me yet so just gonna have to wait and see

i think u may be correct on me losing everthing.

~Its just so anoying that there is people that do this and get away with it. so fecking anoyed...

Thats all a bit strange...reported stolen 3 days before buying it ? and you got it from the V5 address ?
all a bit fishy mate for a car not exactly high value.
Hope you get it sorted.

It's the logbook that's been cloned! There was a theft of a load of blank V5C logbooks apparently, and this is what these criminals can do. Most of will eventually get a new look V5C to replace the current blue one we have to stop this cloning.

is the chassis number and engine number the same on the log book as it is on the car? 3 days is an awfully quick turn around to sort out the paperwork for the car.

its pretty easy to get away with this sort of thing. look on the net for a taxed and tested car forsale a fair distance from yourself. go steal another car the same in the same colour. get yourself some number plates the same as the car youve seen forsale. print yourself a fake v5 with anybodys address. go to an mot station get a duplicate mot.
list the car forsale..........

DVLA is no guarantee of anything.. They dont check stuff like you think they would/should

I have been caught by their incompetance previously..

bad news fella. hope it works out for you

Thats all a bit strange...reported stolen 3 days before buying it ? and you got it from the V5 address ?
all a bit fishy mate for a car not exactly high value.
Hope you get it sorted.

is the chassis number and engine number the same on the log book as it is on the car? 3 days is an awfully quick turn around to sort out the paperwork for the car.

its pretty easy to get away with this sort of thing. look on the net for a taxed and tested car forsale a fair distance from yourself. go steal another car the same in the same colour. get yourself some number plates the same as the car youve seen forsale. print yourself a fake v5 with anybodys address. go to an mot station get a duplicate mot.
list the car forsale..........

It was reported stolen on the 6th June n he bought it on the 9th of August, bit more than 3 days lol.

Sorry to hear about this :(

as has been said above, you need to check all the chassis numbers match, V5c, service book and car. HPI only check the reg number is clean has to be cross referenced with chassis number.

You could also trying checking the mot history on the car as it could throw up any inconsistencies, you'd need V5 and an old MOT;
Check your vehicle's MOT status and history online : Directgov - Motoring

the wired thing is i do have a v5 that has been issued by the DVLA as when the V5 arrived the first time my name was spelt wrong so i went into my local post office and they sorted it for me then sent it out. 2 weeks later i recieved a new V5 from the D?VLA so even if the old one was a "clone" surly the DVLA would have noticed it and not sent me out another V5??

Iv also just checked who i used to ckeck the car and was a company called HPI check and iv just looked again i did it on the day i bought the car and it came back as the following:
Police stolen VRM not currently recorded by the police as stolen
Insurance theft VRM not currently recorded by insurers as a theft

Iv also still not heard from the police about it.

but do the chassis numbers match, v5, service book and car?