Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications

Thread: Siezed Nipples

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status

Siezed Nipples

yes winter is approaching chaps, all the more risk of the above.....

Anyway, given the fantastic response to my changing the Master cylinder thread...does anyone have any tips on freeing up the siezed nipples on the master cylinder of our A3, ultimate aim is for bleeding purposes as the brakes are utter gash
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Soak the area in oil as much as is posible anyway.
    And last resort is warm them up with a blow lamp. Making sure you have a dam good fitting spanner
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    hmm my brakes are a bit crap at the moment i wonder if i need to do this. newish discs and pads front and rear and i just dont get much response from them.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    cheers Paul.....ive checked for people who have fitted a new cylinder but the costs are silly, 150 for a new unit from GSF then fitment and im struggling to find anyone who has done one, so assume people fix rather than replace....

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    animal what are the symptoms mate?

mine have no real bite if that make sense. sorta braking like im getting heat fade but all the time. sound similar?

Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.

Chugger

Status
    as said penetrating oil. And a bit of heat. Dont over do it because they do like to snap. Make sure you used a socket instead of a spanner.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Cheers Sports.......

Dave, a bit spongy mate, too much travel when compared to the S3....although better than what they were when we bought the car after being pressure bled

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    hmm ok ill ask my garage to have a look for me. i may have a tiny leak or something

6th Gear

Status
    Just re read the first post,
    Why do you want to undo the nipples on the master cylinder?
    I had all my brakes ( granted S3 ) bled though with the ATE super racing blue fluid . Non of the fitting on the master cylinder got touched.
    My problem was boiled/ old fluid.
    Once i changed it ... completely diffrent car.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    from what i had read Paul the master cylinder seems to be something that requires bleeding....is this not the case?

even the ex Audi doood who did the last bleed says you need to do it......

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    I've not heard of bleeding the master cylinder before Tim. Normally just bleed the brakes through the good old fashioned method??
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    ive read it a few times mate and had the Audi guy confirm it..... thats why i was hoping to be able to have it done

2nd Gear

Status
    I couldn't get a spanner on mine, so got a 7mm box spanner off ebay and stuck the appropriate size allen key in the other end and pack around with rags to collect the majority of the old fluid. Kinda have to guess as can't see if any bubbles are coming out, but let a decent amount through and should be fine!
    2001 Audi S3 - AMK 210bhp
    Tarox F2000 discs front - Tarox 401 Rallye+ pads
    Tarox F2000 discs rear - Tarox 112 Strada pads
    Goodridge brake lines
    TT pedals
    N249 bypass

Finally back on the road, have a HUGE list of mods and things to do now!

6th Gear

Status
    Im confused now. My master cylinder has only ever been bled as part of a standard bleed.
    The lad who did mine worked for JBS for 4 years and has over 10 years working with brakes on other cars before that,
    If there is a diffrent way to do it... im confused.
    Hope either way. you get it sorted soon
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Ross_S4

Status
    Yeah pressure bleed mate and also DO bleed the master cylinder. There is absolutley no point at all bleeding your brake lines carefully and then leaving air in the MC.
    Hydraulic systems do NOT like air in them and will not work efficiently with air in.
    As someone above said, I didn't want to take the charge air pipe off *again* so just used sockets on a UJ and rags spread below, the MC is a very small volume inside so I just opened them up and pressure bled through some liquid.

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Tim when I first bled the brakes on my a3 quattro we didnt do the master cylinder and the pedal went straight to the floor, we bled them again and again and nothing changed, read a quick thread from here, bled the master cylinder and bobs your uncle much better brake pedal response, but it still felt lack luster. My thinking there after was - give a car as much engine power as an s3 and you probably need to give the car as much braking power as a S3.

Ps Seized nipples hahaha

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbrownlee View Post
    Yeah pressure bleed mate and also DO bleed the master cylinder. There is absolutley no point at all bleeding your brake lines carefully and then leaving air in the MC.
    Hydraulic systems do NOT like air in them and will not work efficiently with air in.
    As someone above said, I didn't want to take the charge air pipe off *again* so just used sockets on a UJ and rags spread below, the MC is a very small volume inside so I just opened them up and pressure bled through some liquid.
    There is NO sure fire way of knowing if in aparently needed to bleed the master cylinder.
    However, i would have though if air was in there... gravity bleeding followed by preasure bleeding forcing fresh blue fluid through all the pipes would meen it was free from air or old fluid?

After speaking to the lad who did mine... he said a socket would be a better way of trying to get even preasure on the nipple.
    How many people have used VAG COM to bleed the ABS unit??
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3