Another hybrid conversion thread....

Well, some not so good news today.... but not the end of the world.

My new card (finally) arrived this morning, so I can now fund this project without breaking into my hard earned savings. Again.

So, being proactive, I thought it best to pay CR for the work now, so that they can just send the thing to me when it's done. That was fine, and I'm all fronted up with the dollar dosh beans.

However, when asked for an expected delivery date, I was given the reply to expect the unit on Wednesday.

However, it's not the end of the world. I know CR are short staffed at the moment, so cutting them some slack I don't mind.

I will still be whipping the head off on Monday as planned, because then it gives me time to fiddle with the other bits and bobs I want to change.

At least I can (maybe if I can be bothered) take my drivers door apart and finally fix my broken driver's window....

Ah, shame that buddy, but like you say, by the sounds of recent contact from Paul etc sounds like they are really up against it...

Ah, shame that buddy, but like you say, by the sounds of recent contact from Paul etc sounds like they are really up against it...

Indeed, you can't say fairer. I'm sure they'll get it out as fast as possible - it's just a bit of a ****** for me.

Well, I gave the K04-022 it's last hoorah tonight on the way home from the girlfriend's. IATs were down to 8 degrees C and it was going really well bless it - if a touch smokey....

Starting work tomorrow afternoon - will be chucking an engine flush through the engine to try and remove some remnants of AVS on the engine that's now in there. Then I will be dropping all the fluids out of the engine and leaving to drain overnight before kicking off on Monday AM.

Bring it on :)

OK.... kicking off Monday AM went a bit wrong.

Dropped my engine flush in earlier on, and then dropped out the oil and am leaving it to drain overnight...

Then I thought I'd just take a few bits and bobs off.... and then that turned into taking most of the bits required to remove the head off...

This is how I am leaving the engine tonight ready for the final bits tomorrow...
5.jpg

7.jpg

VXR Injectors vs. S3 Injectors.
6.jpg

Random dead wasp I found in the recess between inlet ports on 1 and 2.... Thats new. Must of thought my car was it's mummy....
8.jpg

are the rods on the bam tht bad? how much boost does a stage one go to?

Bill i remember talking to you and kevin by tims car at combe and kevin said he had bent rod but im sure hes putting more on them then i would on my s3 with a stage 1 (know his werent std)

i thought my impreza engine was made of chocolate!

are the rods on the bam tht bad? how much boost does a stage one go to?

Bill i remember talking to you and kevin by tims car at combe and kevin said he had bent rod but im sure hes putting more on them then i would on my s3 with a stage 1 (know his werent std)

i thought my impreza engine was made of chocolate!

Its only the rods that are the weak point mate. In theory, Stage 1 power should be OK - it's the higher mileage engines that tend to suffer more.

One of my rods bent on Stage 1 power.

Eventful day.

All my stuff ordered from Euro Car Parts has now arrived which is a relief....

Much as you'd expect though to be honest. Got the head and old turbo off in about an hour as I did half of the work yesterday.

Lots of oil floating about in the pipework, inlet manifold, various other places where oil shouldn't be really. Other than that, lifting the lid off was uneventful. Head gasket was A OK which was good, and has now been placed in the circular file, along with all the other gaskets etc.

The turbo wasn't in the best nick.... And that's being kind. Photos below show the damage and the severity of the cracking through the hot side.

Comp and turbine wheels look to be in OK condition, however the amount of play in the shaft is awful. Literally has about 2-3mm in and out play on the shaft, suggesting the core has collapsed.

Have also found various other issues with it - the actuator is shagged. Totally. One of the bolts that holds the turbo together has come loose, and is where my oil leak has come from, allowing oil to leak out and down the back of the engine. Again, this is obvious by the amount of ****** oil around the join.

Other than that, everything is cool. Some slight detonation marks on the piston from where oil has been getting in and been getting burnt. The pistons were pretty crusty from oil contamination. I've given them a quick clean up, but there isn't much point in going too mad.

By 1 PM we were getting bored and were trying to do stupid stuff like make the turbo boost using a high RPM drill. Epic fail :(. Fun though.

Gave the engine bay a good clean up, got all the crusty oil off of all the back of the engine.

Cleaned the head, got all the remnants of old head gasket off of it.

And to be honest, that's it for the day now, nothing more I can do until the Hybrid arrives from CR.

Now retired to the lounge to while away the rest of the day posting up here, and playing on COD. Ahhhhh.

Anyway - to the photos....

Starting the day....
9.jpg

Damn Turbo Support Bracket.... It's SUCH an ********.
10.jpg

Turbo off.
11.jpg

Poor old thing - not looking it's best.
12.jpg

Turbine & Compressor wheels.
13.jpg

14.jpg

Damage to the hotside.
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

The bolt that decided it didn't want to be tight anymore, and the crust of oil from the leak resulting leak.
21.jpg

20.jpg

The head.
22.jpg

The engine bay after it had received some love....
23.jpg

S3 vs VXR Injector
24.jpg

VXR Injector fitted to S3 Inlet Manifold. The injector is a great fit into the manifold, and the shorter nose should help with better fuel atomisation, as well as not impeding air flow through the manifold.
25.jpg

26.jpg

Thats it for today... all I expect to see for the rest of the day is something similar to this....

27.jpg

More tomorrow....

get on the roof man! and use a real gun!

playstation... press and hold square to pick up SCAR-H Bling

dont stamp on your controller again Welly

the gap around that turbine wheel is huge... some serious erosion gone on there...

I'm going to bring it up to show you tomorrow night dude, the thing is poorly - but good to have a bit of a laugh at. This one certainly wouldn't be a hybrid candidate...

I was only stood there to take a quick photie.... :(

:p haha That was my week last week.

On a more relavent note thats one poorly looking turbo, but good information for the those of us interested in this work a bit further down the line, cheers! :thumbsup:

Lol, whizzed through the post about the car, then was confronted with lots of chatter about something called FISH (;)) and what console you play it on!!!!

Your sig needs updating... "it's being fixed, again, but better this time. Innit"

Evening all...

Another long, yet productive day today. It started at 8.30 this morning when, out of the window, I saw a FedEx van turn up. After a brief jump around session I went downstairs to greet some miserable **** with my new turbo...

So, I got it out and drooled all over it.

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

So I set about having some brekkie and faffing about doing this and that around the house until my mate turned up.

So, then we cracked on. As you will have seen, I had to pop up to Bll's at 12.30 and take he turbo with me for him to test the actuator preload. Therefore we couldn't start fitting the turbo until after this.

So, the fun job of installing new water pump, belt tensioner damper and removing the engine mount to fit the new belt round. This was made massively easy by figuring out that, with the head of, you can slide the engine mount out of the engine bay from the top, rather than the bottom. Took about an 80th of the time it normally does.... Welly's Top Tip for the day....

Anyway, photos below:

Cambelt area with nothing in....
32.JPG

Old belt components. :bye:
33.JPG

New vs Old tensioner damper.
34.JPG

All new components fitted.
35.JPG

At this point, rain stopped play, and we had to leave to get to Bill's anyway.
36.JPG

So, once back from Bill's (Thanks for meeting me at lunchtime dude :thumbsup:) at about half 1, we cracked on with fitting the turbo...

Did all the prep work to get it on, such as winding the turbo studs into the turbo, and then fitting commenced.

Turbo support bracket fitted.
37.JPG

Turbo all bolted up, with all oil lines and coolant lines.
38.JPG

Then, on goes the head...
39.JPG

Timed up...
41.JPG

At this point, I popped off the piping to the intercooler to see how much il the old turbo had dumped in there...Quite a bit was the answer.

43.JPG

VXR Injectors fitted to the injector rail and fitted to the inlet manifold
44.JPG

My Billy Bodge to get the rail o fit with the different sized injectors...
45.JPG

Engine back together and running... Happy days.
47.JPG

So, the engine is back together and running fine.... So far anyway.

Need to do a few bits and bobs of tidying up tomorrow during the day, and then the hardware install is all completed.

Up to Bill's on Saturday AM for first session of mapping - I cannot wait.

Will post results of first drive up when I take it out tomorrow as well, hopefully with logs.

Nearly there....

Good work mate... hoping mine will be mobile Saturday too... just need to bleed the clutch and do a bit of a fix to my headlight...

Take it easy with the driving though mate...

<tuffty/>

Very nice work mate, but after all this welly, your still running the standard TIP, what you doing? haha.

Very nice work mate, but after all this welly, your still running the standard TIP, what you doing? haha.

Not for long bud, awaiting the arrival of my AutoBahn88 one. It's all paid for, they just ran out of black ones. They asked if I wanted another colour, but I don't, so I'm awaiting it's arrival....

Hopefully won't be too long.

Good work mate... hoping mine will be mobile Saturday too... just need to bleed the clutch and do a bit of a fix to my headlight...

Take it easy with the driving though mate...

<tuffty/>

I will do mate, but need it back on the road to get about since the ****** quad is broken as well now.... D'oh.

Just a quick logging sesh is all I will be doing before I disconnect the N75 and run it on actuator pressure.