S3 8L Somking turbo under bonnet!!! PLEASE HELP?!?!

Approx give and/or take
Reaction score
I went into my garage to turn over my car after being away for a week, let it run for about 1minute, and burning oil started pumping out from the grille and sides of the bonnet.

After further inspection, it's coming from the top-end of the turbo. Does anyone know what this may be, or may involve/cost to sort out?

The car was given a full long-life service and full check at an Audi dealer which flagged up no faults whatsoever, and the car has only been driven 1mile since then (home and into the garage).

Could it be the oil feed pipe?

Any advice from anyone with experience of this would be really appreciated.

Mmm. Could just be oil which has leaked and settled on the turbo while it's been standing still. As long as the turbo is getting oil then it may be worth starting and running the car to see if it goes away, stays or gets worse. It's a bit risky though as if the oil feed is ruptured to starve the turbo then it's £££'s! Admittedly somethings not right,

How long ago or before this happened did the long service take place? Could they have spilt oil?

is oil leaking out and dripping under the car?

dont use long life servicing. its a gimic designed purely to wear your engine out a year after your cars out of warrenty.
a car (esp. a turbo engined one) cant have enough oil changes! every 6000 max is my recommendation.

why do you think oil pump pick up strainers get blocked up with bits of carbon falling off the inner engine components???? engine breather hoses soft and blocked up with sh1t????

im in the middle of changing an "ary" engined 180bhp audi tt at the moment at work cus of this very problem. 110k on it..... strainer blocked up, cam bearings are all proper ****** and its spun a bearing on no.4 conrod! spent 4 hours on it on saturday. just got the aircon to empty, pump pipes off and engine mounts to undo then i can lift the engine and box out.

its a bit of a pita removing the turbo on these. not fun!

Last edited:
MASSIVE thanks to Sandip who came drove a 50miles round-trip an hour after I posted my problem to come out to me on Sunday night and fixed my problem!

The guy is an S3 encyclopedia, and a lovely fella to boot. Big thanks to everyone else who offered help aswell, it did turn out to be a drop of oil on the manifold burning away (possibly something spilled during an oil check at servicing. Also, after Sandip advised I see my dealer about corrosion on my roof rails, the dealer is sorting it out for me under the 10year anti-corrosion warranty.

Very good stuff!