Winter wheels?

Breezey

Reaction score
So its approaching that time of year again, anyone use winter wheels on your A3/S3? i only ask as im coming up to needing 4 new tyres for my RSTTs.

I will hopefully be getting/ running a second set of wheels for the winter

What size are you getting? tyres are still expnsive for 17" so theres not much point changing but its gonna look stupid with 16s on ?

16's won't fit over your brakes

Last edited:
I will hopefully be using my standard wheels for winter and either getting some 18's around christmas or shortly after winter.

I use my 17 inch avus wheels with Yokohama mud and snow tyres when it snows but otherwise stick to my normal wheels...

<tuffty/>

Cheers guys, with an R32 brake setup going on im gonna be stuck with 18s so its going to be down to tyre choices what would you guys get? ive been looking at the falken 452s as they are only 60 quid a pop i know they are summer tyres though.

I used 225/45/17 Nokia Hakka IV on my previous A3. With studs.

Looked like this:
12022008199.jpg

If it snows like it did last year I'll throw on my Avus, but other than that I'm not too fussed.

Autocar magazine did a big tyre test not too long ago for testing wet weather tyres, and I'm sure they did one before on the benefits of winter tyres too (well, "cold-weather" tyres for use below 7 degs iifc).

I keep the standard wheels with Kumho IZen tyres on & they are awesome! When testing alongside my mates R32 on a solid covering of snow, I left him for dead on take off, both standing & rolling starts & more importantly even at 20mph he took over 2 car lengths more to stop!!!
Imagine 30 or 50mph.

They also give superb lateral grip & on a 50 mile drive on twisty roads I was able to keep a steady 50-60mph feeling completely secure.
I honestly can't recommend proper winter grips enough!!!

This is something I adopted from working in Norway where it is the law you have to put winter grips on from September to March & when winter snow falls, they just get on with it unlike the UK where after an inch of snow the whole country grinds to a halt!!!