Audi A3 Rear View Mirror with auto dim.

mikeyc_123

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry for this random question and I hope it is in the correct place (I am new!):w00t:

I have just purchaed an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport. I have an auto dimming rear view mirror which was tested tonight and worked very well!

Question is.. On the mirror there are 2 lights.. one that switches off the dimming (power light activated by the power button on the mirror) and another one on the right hand side. I have no idea what the one on the right does! I have never seen it light up!

Any ideas? Nothing in the manual either.

Thanks in advance

Hi Mikey-

I think you'll find that the second "light" is in fact a window for the sensor by which the electronics within measures the amount of light reaching the surface of the mirror and as such makes the decision to dim or not.

An idiosyncrasy of meodern optical-component packages is the emitters and recievers often appear identical but both in fact need windows for light to path through- in this case to recieve rather than emit.

You can test it using a bright torch or by putting your finger over it when you have low-angle bright sun from behind.

Does it work well?- mine used to just go a sort of blue...!

JimP