Audi MOT passed but Free Health Check failed

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
OK guys and girls. After my last thread of the car going in to Audi and "what to expect?" from a knocking noise at the front, knackered rear brakes and leaking rear shocks, cost wise...

IT PASSED!

Amazed, I queried whether there were any issues. They showed me on the print out that the rear pads were 85% worn, the rear springs were corroded, the rear shocks were "misting oil" and that was it... No issues from bushes at the front etc.

However, on the drive home was I was worried about the clear knocking sound coming from the car's suspension/steering. So booked it into another Audi centre, within the same group per chance.

Their Health Check came back with broken rear springs, leaking rear dampers, knackered rear brakes, knackered ARB bushes/drop links and the PAS pump is leaking. They also mentioned that had it been MOT'd on site by them (the other centre outsource), it would not have passed.

Today, the original Audi centre, when confronted with this information, say it is only the view point of the second Audi centre, not how the car was on the day.

I have now contacted Audi UK (on the advice from the second centre) and they have pointed me to VOSA. VOSA will be following the case up by coming to check the car for road worthiness. I am not allowed to repair it in the mean time and they will give me a full overview of whether this car should have been passed or not.

I will update this thread with all the feedback I receive as I go and any outcomes, but if anyone has any thoughts on what else I can do, where I stand with "fit on the day it was tested" rubbish or any other comments, please fire away. This leaves me, currently, with around £1,100 costs in repairs, and no way to use my MOT protection...

Many thanks!

So, how long passed between MOT and health check one to the second health check?

so you are annoyed they passed your car... thats different ...lol
with it being a FREE health check, they are going to try and find a fault anyway for business??:sly:

So, how long passed between MOT and health check one to the second health check?

1 week, 50 miles max.

so you are annoyed they passed your car... thats different ...lol
with it being a FREE health check, they are going to try and find a fault anyway for business??:sly:

I know, peculiar position to be in!

They found the faults the MOT put up as advisories only, but also the clear knocking noise issue that wasn't even noted on the MOT advisories. The issue I have is the faults are all MOT failures from the second centre, but not from the first centre, meaning I foot the entire bill, rather than relying on the MOT protection for a decent amount.

It is more the principal of my car being unfit for road use after an MOT and service. Simple fact is, if I don't get anywhere, the car will go to an Indy like Awesome GTI.

Last edited:
ah, so when you had MOT protection and AUDI would have to fork out for the bill they passed it as fine,

and when you did a free health check where YOU would have to fork out for any problems found, they found everything they could possibly think of.

NICE!

1 week, 50 miles max.

I know, peculiar position to be in!

They found the faults the MOT put up as advisories only, but also the clear knocking noise issue that wasn't even noted on the MOT advisories. The issue I have is the faults are all MOT failures from the second centre, but not from the first centre, meaning I foot the entire bill, rather than relying on the MOT protection for a decent amount.

It is more the principal of my car being unfit for road use after an MOT and service. Simple fact is, if I don't get anywhere, the car will go to an Indy like Awesome GTI.
Ahh Got you.. so if the first garage had failed your car THEY would have been paying for the repairs...
Naughty...

Right, I get it too now.

A week passing might make it very hard to prove though as conceivably it's not unreasonable that you snapped a spring by hitting a pothole, for instance. I know in reality it's most likely that the first garage were being useless sods and trying to get out of paying up for repairs. Typical Audi dealer network. I feel fortunate to have a good relationship with an Indy up here. Just a ****** I'm gonna have to hit the stealer's network to have services for the new oil burner.

What's stopping you getting an MOT (under your protection at garage #1) now they know of the faults? I know its redundant but there's nothing stopping you wanting to re-MOT your car is there? (with the desired outcome being that they cough up)

Well, you see this was my first thought. "Crafty buggers". But the insurance is through Mondial Assistance, so it is not their issue. Audi get 1100 regardless, 750 from the insurance, 350 from me...

It just doesn't make sense. I originally kept it off the forum and asked a kindly chap on here, but this just cunfuddled me, so thought I would open it up to the masses!

It is more the principal of my car being unfit for road use after an MOT and service.

Thing is, if it were me, I might sell my principles out if they man-up and do the right thing and admit the faults and allow you to have them sorted under your protection.

Might be worth reminding them of the trouble your going to VOSA would do for them and that you might not be so inclined if you didnt have to mess around with repairs and the like...

Right, I get it too now.

A week passing might make it very hard to prove though as conceivably it's not unreasonable that you snapped a spring by hitting a pothole, for instance. I know in reality it's most likely that the first garage were being useless sods and trying to get out of paying up for repairs. Typical Audi dealer network. I feel fortunate to have a good relationship with an Indy up here. Just a ****** I'm gonna have to hit the stealer's network to have services for the new oil burner.

What's stopping you getting an MOT (under your protection at garage #1) now they know of the faults? I know its redundant but there's nothing stopping you wanting to re-MOT your car is there? (with the desired outcome being that they cough up)

I didn't know you could ask for a re-MOT? I know the shock and the spring are going to be a difficult one to prove, but in my mind (not that Audi will see this) it's black and white. My car is not road worthy and they've deemed it to be.

It just doesn't make sense. I originally kept it off the forum and asked a kindly chap on here, but this just cunfuddled me, so thought I would open it up to the masses!

Sod them, if they want to play hard-ball, time to name and shame surely. Time to start a register of crafty outfits in the UK Audi Dealer network. Bet Audi UK would pay attention as the list grew longer...

I didn't know you could ask for a re-MOT? I know the shock and the spring are going to be a difficult one to prove, but in my mind (not that Audi will see this) it's black and white. My car is not road worthy and they've deemed it to be.

I didn't either until it was inconvenient to take my girl's car for her MOT when it was due, so we sacrificed the last few weeks of her MOT and just had it done ahead of schedule. With the loss of a couple of weeks of MOT but it was off our plates (can't have it done late, of course)

Thing is, if it were me, I might sell my principles out if they man-up and do the right thing and admit the faults and allow you to have them sorted under your protection.

Might be worth reminding them of the trouble your going to VOSA would do for them and that you might not be so inclined if you didnt have to mess around with repairs and the like...

VOSA ball is rolling as Audi UK cannot do anything to do with MOTs... So in my mind, the ball is in their court when they are contacted by VOSA to gain any info required by the VOSA rep.

From my chat with them, they will require the car in to the testing centre, give it a full going over (as a VOSA traffic officer would do at the side of the road) and deem it fit or not. If not, they can "retract the issuing Inspection Authority's license or advise a re-test".

VOSA ball is rolling as Audi UK cannot do anything to do with MOTs... So in my mind, the ball is in their court when they are contacted by VOSA to gain any info required by the VOSA rep.

From my chat with them, they will require the car in to the testing centre, give it a full going over (as a VOSA traffic officer would do at the side of the road) and deem it fit or not. If not, they can "retract the issuing Inspection Authority's license or advise a re-test".

Fair enough, would be very nice if a few from the same dealer questioned their MOTs and ended up getting them their license revoked (as I reckon it would take a few complaints). Bet Audi UK would do something about it then (I know they can't do anything about the outcome of an MOT but they must have some leverage over rubbish dealers).

The MOT Protection is a con imo.

I knew mine had faults should of been caught on the mot (nothing major but definetly wishbone bushes).

When I initially dropped it off they tried to tell me they where charging for the mot, when I produced the mot protection document they agreed to mot for free.

Got a call an hour later to say it had passed, very suspicious but tbh I wasn't complaining after getting 12 months mot for free !

When I initially dropped it off they tried to tell me they where charging for the mot, when I produced the mot protection document they agreed to mot for free.

Think I might have let them think they were doing a chargeable MOT and then produce my certificate at the end! Never gone in for MOT protection but it seems like adding a layer of hassle on to things?

The second centre metioned that I should open a case with Audi.

My understanding of taking my car to Audi for the MOT and service is that I have an Audi hire car, an Audi voice on the phone and an Audi bill. Which is the case. So why do I need to speak to the garage in Hyde that MOT'd my car?

The second centre also do their own MOTs on site... and suggested they are MOT failures... so if I had taken it there in the first place, it would have failed...

Think I might have let them think they were doing a chargeable MOT and then produce my certificate at the end! Never gone in for MOT protection but it seems like adding a layer of hassle on to things?

I got wound up as they claim as it didn't have FASH I wasn't eligable, I explained that it hadn't had a service at Audi for years but it didn't stop the guy selling me it 12 months earlier, would of either been a free MOT or my £50 back.

The MOT Protection is a con imo.

I knew mine had faults should of been caught on the mot (nothing major but definetly wishbone bushes).

Got a call an hour later to say it had passed, very suspicious but tbh I wasn't complaining after getting 12 months mot for free !

There is no con involved to be honest. You pay the £49.99 and you are given the protection, no questions asked. It is transferable to the new owner etc. You would pay £54 elsewhere, so you are not paying any more and you get a kick back of £750 if there is something wrong with the car that fails it. I guess the question is, will Audi FIND something over £750 that needs replacing...

No hassle. Billed £49.99. Added to the system, that's it.

I got wound up as they claim as it didn't have FASH I wasn't eligable, I explained that it hadn't had a service at Audi for years but it didn't stop the guy selling me it 12 months earlier, would of either been a free MOT or my £50 back.

See, there was a thread on another forum I use the other day - How much is FdealerSH worth these days? Mine has FASH. Am I bothered for the future? Not sure any more...

There is no con involved to be honest. You pay the £49.99 and you are given the protection, no questions asked. It is transferable to the new owner etc. You would pay £54 elsewhere, so you are not paying any more and you get a kick back of £750 if there is something wrong with the car that fails it. I guess the question is, will Audi FIND something over £750 that needs replacing...

I meant that the con is that Audi seem to pass cars that need work rather than fail them when needing work doing if you have the cover.

My wishbone bushes where an advisory in 2009 yet in 2010 never got a mention after covering another 10k, strange if you ask me !

I meant that the con is that Audi seem to pass cars that need work rather than fail them when needing work doing if you have the cover.

My wishbone bushes where an advisory in 2009 yet in 2010 never got a mention after covering another 10k, strange if you ask me !

But not one that surprises me Ian buddy. Between the two sheets there are five things that appear on one but don't appear on the other.

Centre 1;

Corroded rear springs
Misting rear dampers
85% rear pad ware
Corroded rear brake pipes OS
Corroded rear brake pipes NS

Centre 2;

ARB/Drop link bushes knackered
Rear brake pads 75% ware
PAS pump leaking
Rear springs broken
Rear dampers leaking

No hassle. Billed £49.99. Added to the system, that's it.

I mean hassle like you're having now - skipping faults so they don't have to cough up. Especially if they might ignore things that could have an impact safety-wise.

I mean hassle like you're having now - skipping faults so they don't have to cough up. Especially if they might ignore things that could have an impact safety-wise.

But it's not Audi coughing up, it would be Mondial Assistance. Like taking out insurance, having a bump and then claiming. The repair shop doesn't pay. I would expect Audi to bash the price up as much as poss!

the car does sound like a complete mess.

when are you actually going to sort it out or are you banking on it spectacularly failing the MOT so audi have to rebuild it from the ground up?

the car does sound like a complete mess.

when are you actually going to sort it out or are you banking on it spectacularly failing the MOT so audi have to rebuild it from the ground up?

Lol, I've missed your direct-ness Matt.

Car is fine, but I have a tendancy to over-react to mechanical issues that should be sorted, but haven't been.

I barely use it currently, if at all, so over the coming weeks it will be down to VOSA to see what happens. If it doesn't go my way, I will be buying OEM shocks and springs and redoing the suspension (not been replaced in 72k miles). Fitting by Awesome, along with a refresh of bushes.

That sort of stuff is typical of dealers. Makes me sick. I used to work for a massive car hire firm who had the contracts for most warranty jobs - someone would break down, their car would go to the dealer, they would get a courtesy car from me, a week later the dealer would call up and say they aren't actually go to pay for the courtesy car because after looking at the car for a week they've decided the fault isn't actually covered by warranty. I'd call the customer to explain, they'd call the dealer, the dealer would deny all knowledge, the customer (understandably) would refuse to return the hire car because the dealer assures them it's all fine. Then when we bill the dealer they refuse to pay and eventually the buck is passed on to the customer. Bearing in mind some of the higher-end warranty deals the car would go out at £50-60/day, that's a lot of money to pay back for your 'courtesy' car.

Sorry, bit off tangent there, but just generally car dealers/manufacturers/warranties irritate the hell out of me and ultimately leave their customers out of pocket every time. Either that or the firm I was with had to roll over and not get paid for the sake of not upsetting the customer.

Question is, are you going to take it to Audi again when it's due for it's next service lol

All this hassle is the reason why people don't bother with dealership service history these days, it's all too secretive, they take your car away and you don't have a clue what they're doing. Someone who cares for thier car is naturally going to find mistakes with the job done, i do it myself! This is why i would never trust a dealership. A dealership stamp means nothing these days, especially to the enthusiast who will buy such a tidy S3 like yours.

Hope you get it sorted bud:thumbsup:

But for those who know jack all about cars(I know a few incidently), they only have the dealers to rely on! That dealer stamp is the most important thing to them regarding service history... 'Audi' dealers must know everything about AUDI'S! right?!

i do agree that it was a predictable outcome. so many garages are out there to scam people and in my eyes jd has proven this again.

i remmeber we were both so amazed that bushes and dampers would be included in the garantee when we discussed it earlier this year so its a shame they shirked their responsibility!

with the route youre taking i can see it dragging on a for a long time. didnt you replace some of the suspension components earlier this year with second hand parts?

it just seems such a waste having a "performance" car and keeping it half baked. you should stop being so tight and get the car done properly, at least you can enjoy it then

Am I right in thinking that there is no valid MOT on your car now, as it has been failed by the second garage?

The car stands with an MOT from Audi. Which expires in 11 and a half months. So there are no legal issues. However, if I were to be stopped by VOSA for any particular reason, I am not sure what would happen is the honest answer...

Thanks for the replies, Matt, as always your straight talking is bob on, but a little more difficult that it sounds. There may be potential for me to move to London soon, in which case the car would be sold. Therefore, the funds for B8s/H&Rs etc are on the fence - do I keep all avenues open in terms of sell-ability by staying completely standard...

The broken front spring was repaired earlier in the year, but to get me back on the road. And as you correctly stated, bushes, springs and dampers are covered under the MOT protection, hence our conversations about the hope that it fails! Just so the issues can have £750 towards the repairs...

As far as I'm concerned, the car is unfit for the road and should never have been passed. Macclesfield agree, VOSA over the phone agree, but it relies on the decisions of the VOSA agent and his/her check.

The outcome of this will decide the cars direction. If I have to pay for new suspension parts, I will most likely take it down the uprated bushes/suspension route from DPM/Awesome etc.

But for those who know jack all about cars(I know a few incidently), they only have the dealers to rely on! That dealer stamp is the most important thing to them regarding service history... 'Audi' dealers must know everything about AUDI'S! right?!

Again, funny you should mention this Joe as this was discussed at length on another forum. The outcome was it doesn't matter and most would rather see a packet full of receipts. But it's a car forum, full of enthusiasts, so it's going to be biased...

Question is, are you going to take it to Audi again when it's due for it's next service lol

All this hassle is the reason why people don't bother with dealership service history these days, it's all too secretive, they take your car away and you don't have a clue what they're doing. Someone who cares for thier car is naturally going to find mistakes with the job done, i do it myself! This is why i would never trust a dealership. A dealership stamp means nothing these days, especially to the enthusiast who will buy such a tidy S3 like yours.

Hope you get it sorted bud:thumbsup:

Thanks chap, appreciated.

And yes, because the second centre have been nothing but polite and truthful. They also MOT on site, so any issues, I would not have this "third party MOT centre" spanner in the works. Thirdly, it does give the Audi dealer stamp, meaning it technically has a FASH... just might not have repairs carried out by Audi!!!!

i dont think the first garage have done much wronge, at most they have missed a broken spring

1, shockers have to have oil dripping off them to fail, not just misting
2, the power steering pump leak, again has to be dripping and if your car has a undertray fitted then you cant see it anyway and mot testers cannot remove parts, not even a wheel trim
3, arb bushes would have to be hanging out, if thay are holding the arb in place, its a pass and advise

I personaly dont think you have a case :
“Everyone who uses a vehicle on the road is required to keep it in a roadworthy condition at all times,” says the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA). “The roadworthiness is checked in the interests of road safety and the environment by a MOT test.
“The MOT test will look at important items on your car to see if they meet the key legal minimum requirements.
“Motorists should be aware that the MOT certificate is not a guarantee of the general mechanical condition of the vehicle.”

plus once it has left the test centre anything could have happened to your vehicle....

having saying that i hope you do get a result of course .....:icon_thumright:

And i hope the garage gets there wrists slapped... that is proberbly the worst outcome for them

Last edited: