Fitting sound into my S3...

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Ello people

I'm looking to fit my sound on Saturday and i have a couple of questions...

I've had my Audi Concert HU looked at and been told it's fully amplified, i was told this when my Parrot Mki9200 was fitted aswell a few months ago.

I've been told i need a line-in to RCA converter which simply plugs into the back of my HU in the empty slot which i've been shown today. From there the sound install will continue as normal procedure, is this correct?

2 more things....

1. Is there a grommet in the engine bay near to the dash to feed the power cable through?
2. How does the rear door card come out?

Many Thanks

Jay

Top dude! :)

That RCA adapter you put up, i was looking at a different one today at my friends audio place. Does it have to be that one you put up or can it be any make of RCA adapter?

Thanks

No that's a HI to Lo converter. You use these when you don't have pre-outs available on the HU.
All Audi HU's already have pre-outs (front & rear), so all you need is an adapter to plug into the back of the HU with the correct plug on it, with RCA's on the other end. No additional electronics. Hi to Lo converters take the already amped signal going to the speakers back down to a pre-amplified signal with all the noise and interference that goes with it so you don't get a clean signal to feed the amp.
Also that converter is just a regular one, not an Audi one so you'll have to butcher the front speaker wiring to fit it.
Audi HU's only have a front speaker output, no rears, so you'll have no fader control either.

Just for reference to others...

The above Car Audio Security link i provided is the correct part i need and the sound install continues as normal from there. The adapter has 4 RCA's coming off it, i am only using 1 amp so 2 RCA's will be used and the other 2 are left hanging.

Big thanks to Andy Mac for help!

jay are you trying to boost the sound from the OEM HU or you fitting a new HU? curious as i want to make mine sound better but dont want an aftermarket HU which i thought was the only real way to go

I'm using the standard HU Tim, i'm trying to keep things OEM. It's just the extra bass i'll have from my 2 12's and i have an amp powering both of them.

I too was thinking of upgrading my sounds, as its rubbish, especially with all this hot weather we are having.

I was thinking of wiring the standard speakers directly to the HU bypassing the amp, would this make a difference, or alternatively, i have an aftermarket HU, which I was thinking of connecting and as mentioned, wiring the speakers directly to the HU rather than via the amp, does this make sense and would it sound any better??

Do you have Bose? If your speakers are running off your Bose amp then you're fine as you're getting more power from that than your HU. I'm only adding my sounds because they're pure SQ subs and should sound nice with the Bose setup! :)

only downer is that you will lose rear controls via the HU Nilz as the HU only has two outs for the two fronts...the rears are fed via an amp feed to the base box - so the rears would be sharing the fronts outputs i think

Jay let me know how it sounds mate as i am really intrigued on this

No worries Tim i'll let you know! I already know how they will sound as i had them in my first car 3 years ago *cough* 1.0 Corsa C *cough*. I'll also have my Phoenix Gold Bass Cube connected so i can alter the frequencies via the control near me somewhere in the car.

For people who know their sounds and go a bit old skool will know what my subs are. They are 2x12" Phase Linear Aliante LTD's with a Phase Linear Monoblock amp :rockwoot:

Im not Bose either, didnt know I would lose rear, but that does make sense if the rear is amped up...

OK will have to look into something else in that case then!!

I have a non-bose setup. I replaced the headunit for after market and completely rewired the audio setup.
i've got 2 amps in the the rear panels. you wouldn't even know they were there completely stealth. one for the 4 speakers and one for my stealth sub.

Nilz i dont see why we cant upgrade the amp from the HU (the one in the bass bin) , just someone like Andymac to guide us in the ways of the force :)

two ways from what i can see (possibly a third) - first way is to use the front feeds from the HU to power the amp....second way is to do this and integrate another amp for the rears replacing the small one already installed, third is to maybe do a hybrid install using the line outs from the parrot, although you would need some sort of switch facility as it would only work with the ipod...bit too high risk for me methinks

Just use the rear line outs that are already feeding the rear amp.
As said you can only run the rears off the HU if you have an aftermarket HU. No Audi HU has rear speaker output.

so what your saying Andy is that the line outs to the rear amp are in actual fact just the same as the line out to the fronts? i was under the impression it was a slightly more intelligent feed which is why people arnt able to tap into it very easily when fitting aftermarket kits?