Dodgy Starter Motor?

LeeW

Reaction score
After driving for around an hour yesterday I stopped at a shop, returned to the car and just got a click when trying to start, tried it a few times and after a few minutes it started. Got home and tried to start again, same problem just a click.

Car started half a dozen or so times this morning from cold with no problem.

I'm guessing Starter Motor/Solenoid on its way out?

yeah, sounds like the starter motor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

if you have the same problem another time, if it helps, you can give it a sharp tap with a hammer or something to jolt it, should start fine then...

if you can locate it under the engine.!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers the starters easy to get to, right at the front, i just wanted to check that it couldn't possibly be an immobiliser fault etc. I'm pretty sure it is the starter so will get another one.

Only had the car a couple of months 1.6se W plate with 38k, i'd love an S3 or 1.8T but the wife hasn't had her licence long so the insurance would be through the roof. Apart from this starter problem, an indicator relay problem and the common rear washer fault, I'm well happy with it.

Just try to park at the top of a slope when you leave your vehicle at least that way you can bump start it if it will not start on your return /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I had this problem with my A3 1.6 Sport. My mate who is an Audi main dealer mechanic popped round and sorted it.

It was the earth lead from the starter motor to the engine block. Worth checking....

Id the current for the charger goes through a relay, it could be sticking?

I thought my starter motor was jamming coz i'd get a nasty sound like it was spinning up faster than it should, but having read other posts it sounds like it could be the cam chain instead.

The starter motor CAN make a horrible quick high-pitch whirr when it's knackered. Usually only when cold.

When starting my old polo one day, the starter motor would spin but didnt seem to engage and turn the engine over. Turned out that the fly-wheel was knackered and needed replacing.
All this started with very noisy starts, and towards the not starting at all.

What you could try is to stick the car in gear, handbrake off and rock the car back and forth.

Anand

My starter made a nasty whirr when starting, like something was being made to spin when it really didn't want to. It tails off in about a second or two.
I read that this is the starter staying engaged too long and it can knacker other more expensive parts - sounds like the flywheel is one of those parts - presumably the starter doesn't get out of the way of the flywheel and that's why you get the god-awful noise.

Gibbsy: If you have this, I'd definitely say get the starter replaced. Mine went at about 45k miles I think. Get a techy to have a listen and they should agree.

Got into my TQ one morning and all I got was a "Click" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Push started it with no trouble, took it to Audi and they sorted it. Turns out the starter uses some kind of magnetic switch which had a loose wire. IIRC it only cost about €20 to get it fixed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Hope it helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the replies, the car has been fine all week so it may just be a loose wire/connection as suggested above, I'll wait and see if I get the dreaded "click" again before tackling it.

Cheers Bk i got a mate who works at Audi said he will do it for £200 instead of the £400 audi will charge.

Think i will get it done ASAP

400 quid for a new starter? ****** hell.
I got mine done on warranty and never knew the cost.
Note that I didn't have the "dead click" issue being discussed but I did have the awful scream/whine.

Yeh thats all i got at the moment, dont happen all the time though so knowin my luck i'd take it to him and it would sound fine!!

Yeh thats what he said audi would charge ya, 2 hours labour at £90 an hour then whatever is left for the part or somethin like that anyway.

I too have a suspect starter, as mentioned in a previous post. LeeW replied. the problem has come back. I will hit it with a hammer and check the earth, i have a couple of questions.
a) is it accessable without removing panels etc.
b) I have an S3 is the same starter motor found on any other cars, as I could check eBay or breakers for a recon unit - only looking for a recon S3 I am sure would be harder than VW golf.

cheers

I have tried the hammer, no joy, does anybody know if I need to remove the battery to get to the earth point or can i get to it from below?