Cheap S3 DIY Mods

Lee172

GT3071
Reaction score
I was just wondering what mods people can do to their s3s that are cheap and easy to do.. but also actually make a difference to performance.

So far i have seen the airbox mod and N249 Bypass, aswell as things like lightened pulleys and Silicone TIP (turbo intake pipe). But what other cheaps ones are there ?

Thanks, Lee.

Last edited:
It's the forbidden mod.

lol, nobody speaks of that mod.

I wouldnt consider lightened pulleys, that isnt really a cheap mod or worthwhile on such a standard car..

all the mods you list probably dont increase any power either im afraid.

but LED number plate bulbs is a very cheap mods and looks really smart.

window tint can looks smart.

Lowering springs to give a nice stance

Could loose the back seats & spare wheel etc...
Fit a super charger (p.c) fan to you intake pipe,
Petrol boost in your tank....
the list is endless :eiertritt:

de mesh your maf, de baffle the charge pipe, drill holes in the bottom of the air filter box, and the biggest one change all of your jubalee clips as i must of gained about 10hp from a boost leak i never knew about :)

De-baffle charge pipe, what do you mean by that ?

One thing i did was remove the trumpet on the top side of the filter box, pointless thing.

Haven't done it myself, but apparently at one end of the charge pipe is a baffle, need a hammer and a large screwdriver/chisel and knock it out. Believe it is only in the S3 charge pipes as well.

Keep 17" wheels on the car and get an Audi-Sport sticker :)

Anyone got any before/after pics?

No pics before - but trust in me, it has a large baffle inside to calm the noise from air rushing out of the turbo.

After pic looks like this:

desilenced_chargepipe.jpg

Cheers welly, I did see the baffles at the weekend when i had it apart i will have a crack at it tonight.

Be careful. The first one I did went fine. The second, not so well. I managed to punch a hole through the other skin!

It's a case of hammering through the thing with a chisel.

Mine went badly wrong. Good job it was a spare,
Needs a meeting with a tig welder...

de baffling the charge pipe is not a 5 min job, it takes a hell of a lot of beating, as somebody said in a thread before the best way is to have an argument with your misses then go to war on it. and yes it does add a bit of extra noise, you can here the turbo more.

I didn't know about the charge pipe one.. ill have to have a go at that.

How comes knowbody talks about the N249 Mod??

By the pulleys i ment these.. AUDI A3 S3 20V T TURBO LIGHTWEIGHT ENGINE PULLEY SET on eBay (end time 22-Sep-10 20:01:32 BST)

I met S3K04 at Ace Cafe the other day, one of his mates said he used them, seem to rate them well.. what do you guys think?

I wouldn't personally, I have seen the damage that non dampened crank pulleys can do to the engine...

de baffling the charge pipe is not a 5 min job, it takes a hell of a lot of beating, as somebody said in a thread before the best way is to have an argument with your misses then go to war on it. and yes it does add a bit of extra noise, you can here the turbo more.

Thats what make up sex is for, banging the sh1t out of the missus!

As per the thread in general chat, play a few rounds of Modern Warfare then go and do it, or send to Welly, might prevent him breaking anymore controllers :p