Front ARB only handling characturistics.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.
This week in going to renew my front ARB with an R32 one (due to the split plastic collars)
however i wont be changing the rear for a couple of weeks.

I think i have read enlarging the rear only decreases understeer. Does that mean if i enlarge the front only (for the time being) it will increase understeer?.

thanks
Callum

Also, if i do so will it be dangerous?

You do run the risk of increasing understeer if you are pushing it, but for normal driving it will be fine.
Just bare in mind that the grip may not be as progressive as you are used to

I ran with an R32 front ARB for about 6 months, don't generally push my cars to hard and never had a problem.

i uprated the rear first & found the car handled well, not a massive difference thought certainly not dangerous

Eugh, had to pay full price including vat for the ARB and bushes :( £91.89..
Right, so ive got all the bits sat here infront of me, bar, bushes and a tub of castrol red rebber grease.

How long would you expect to fit?.. Shall i attempt it in tomorrows lunch break? (55 minutes)

not the rear no i would say about 1.5hours atleast. You need to drop the backbox, remove the heat shield, remove the bolts from each drop link & finally remove the clamps. Front consists of dropping the sub frame.

55mins to do the front start to finish....Even finished with enough time to have a ciggy before i started work again.

However, having a ramp and all the tools layed out infront of me was a big help.
I recon if i unbolted the front exhaust mount from the subframe i could have saved myself 5 minutes.
need to pop down to the tyre centre tomorrow and get the the alignment redone,

Good news though, knocking over bumps has now gone... There was a big layer of rust built up under my old arb's collars.
Will be giving a good thrash down some b roads soon to try and gauge the new handling.

Working on it... just need to free up some funds lol

Rear r32 ARB and bushes are here infront of me now.

Just need to find the time/ effort to fit them.

Just a quick run through:
Wheels off - disconnect droplinks - lower exhaust (unbolt rear mount?) - lower heatshield - unbolt bar - refit in reverse order???

Its fitted:. Shall report my handeling findings after a run at the weekend.
So far apart from being 10x thicker and heavier than the standard bar, i seem to have more road noise... with a slight bit more "crash" going over drains/ potholes.