2000 S3 Engine Help

darreng1983

Reaction score
Hi, new member here :yes:

Just bought an S3 with a knackered engine with a view to fixing it, I've done loads of work on Vauxhall engines, but this will be my first Audi.

The problem is that the engine sounds pretty rough and has loads of light grey smoke coming out the exhaust, also the engine is covered in all, I beleive from where the oil dipstick pipe keeps getting blown out. My initial thoughts are that the piston rings have worn, causing excessive pressure in the crank case, which in turn blows the dipstick out. Does this sound feasible?

Going to do a compression test in the morning (just waiting for the battery to charge fully), would sort of figures would you be looking at for a healthy engine?

Thanks for your help.

check that the dipstick guide isnt broken mate, quite a common thing to happen. when you say the engine sounds rough - from the top end or bottom end?

i'll check the dipstick tomorrow, thanks. To be honest, I think it sounds rough because it's not running right rather than mechanical.

Right, just had the engine running to get up to temperature, loads of grey smoke out the back which gets worse on revving. After a while, the dipstick shot about 30 foot in the air!!! And thereafter there were rhythmical blasts of smoke coming out the dipstick hole. When taking the spark plugs out 1, 3 and 4 didn't seem all that bad, but number 2 was absolutely swimming in oil.

Compression test was done on a warm engine with throttle fully open. I removed all the spark plugs before doing the test, looking back, I'm not sure if I should have removed them one at a time?

1 - Peaked @ 120ish then sat at 100psi
2 - 0, nothing at all
3 - Peaked @ 120ish then sat at 100psi
4 - Peaked @ 110ish then sat at 80psi

So looks like catastrophic failure in number 2, will be taking the head off shortly.

Any thoughts?

i bet the same that happened to welly, bent rod + broken oil squirter

is it standard? not remapped or anything?

does it over heat?

Last edited:
i bet the same that happened to welly, bent rod + broken oil squirter

is it standard? not remapped or anything?

does it over heat?

I beleive the engine is standard, don't know about overheating as I bought it as a 'non runner'.

hmm well let us know what happens once the head is off, hope its nothing too bad mate. did you get it for a good price? are you just going to fix it and keep it or sell it? id love to buy a broken one and fix it up