Does this sound like coil pack-packs?

HOUCH

Reaction score
Hi there sorry if you've read this all before? have had a look at some other posts and sounds similar to mine but just looking for some kind of conformation that is problem before I take to garage in morning.
Anyhoo was on way home tonight all running fine no warning lights etc upon putting foot down car feels sluggish and sounds like a misfire like a cylinder drops off sort of clears engine man light started to flash pulled in switched off restarted light went off and idle is fine not lumpy etc, runs fine at low engine speed but as soon as try to accelerate light flashes and runs like bag of shhh,got it home engine man light now on all the time, have had car for 5 plus years and have experenced maff probs etc but not this. Car not on limp mode turbo still spooling up etc and tickover idle fine.
Like I say sorry if bringing up same problems as others have and thanks for your time..Cheers Houch.

Yep this sounds like classic Coilpack failure. I've two coilpack issues in the last 2 years and they were both identicle to your description above. Might be worth getting yourself 4 brand new coilpacks to be on the safe side and keep any of yours that are still good as spares. The garage will cnfirm for you which pack(s) has blown.

Agreed, same old same old.

Fine on low load, however start firing lots more air and fuel in there on boost and it can't create a good enough spark to ignite.

Change all 4. Job done.

Check for corrosion/ discolouration on the suspect coils. Mine always look like they have been out in the rain when they start to go.

Cheers for advice guys much appreciated. however the saga continues.....as happened on way home was'nt able to get hold of usual garage I go to they are in other direction from work and no guarantee of car being available etc so plumbed for garage have heard good things about near where I work, thought dump it off with them and walk to work. (bet you can't guess whats coming?) got a call from them this arvo to say found split breather pipe and plugged it in got an error on cylinder 1 pointing torwards coil pack. Replaced both picked car up tonight thought better take it for blatt around ind estate guess what....as soon as got warm engine man light starts flashing and runs like bag of shhhh....dumped it back with them to look at tomorrow, they are going to first try a set of plugs to start with, just hope they are not going to try and use my wallet to fix!!!!! Now wishing had taken to other garage ahhh the power of heinsight me thinks......

Had the same issue with same symptoms this last week or so, really annoying when you forget and go for an overtake..grrr. Started by changing the plugs hoping it was them, runs smoother but still misses when i push her, coil packs arrive tomorrow and I will be changing all 4, 99% sure thatll sort it out.