Handbrake issues:

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all,
Noticed an issue with my handbrake today.
Firstly its never been very good, (not reliabale enough to leave parked out of gear)

The handbrake itself has become notchy, sort of clicks mid-travel???
Also the NSR brake disc has become a dark red colour, like its binding.

Upon inspection, one of the handbrake levers (on the calliper) doesnt return fully to the stop.. It sits about 1/2" away.

Are there any common problems?
Grown in pads/ knackered calliper/ seized handbrake cable?.
Just to point my in a rough direction.

cheers

I've got the exact same thing mate, i dont trust mine enough to leave it out of gear, i also think my caliper may be seized.

Im hoping not.... Actually i would prefer replacing a caliper to renewing the h/brake cable.. that looks awkward.

Well when mine went in for service etc to my mate he said the caliper can still work fine under braking but can seize on the handbrake side of matters.

Upon inspection, one of the handbrake levers (on the calliper) doesnt return fully to the stop.. It sits about 1/2" away.

Hi mate cant really help, but as for this I seem to remember that when the handbrake has been correctly adjusted, the levers at the calipers should not be sitting on the stops, but off them by a certain distance, some milimetres.

i may be wrong but its a common fault on mk2 and mk4 golfs. the brake is hydraulic but the handbrake is mechanical. the mech gets gunked up and stops working. new caliper time....

my mechanic used to say that my A3 ones kept seizing, so he free'd the up which solved the issue, had to be done twice from memory though so new caliper is only other way to go.....personally id have that off and refurbed/greased

Having not looked into it, I don't know. But apparently, the only way to adjust the handbrakes on these is to adjust the physical cable.

There is no sefl adjustment mechanism on the rear caliper for the handbrake.

I fitted new rear discs and pads expecting the handbrake to be mustard - however it was still rubbish. I will look into this one day - but for now, in gear it is!

take ya rear ash tray out and tighten the nut sweetcheeks :) simple as that