High oil consumption

Jay

Reaction score
I seem to be topping up more and more and can't understand why the A3's burning so much oil. Probably using around a litre every 1000 miles. Cars done 105K miles, its not smoking and can't see any leaks anywhere. Oil pump was replaced around 7K miles ago and I was hoping this would fix the problem but it hasn't really helped.

Could the Turbo be on its way out? or would that not have anything to do with it?

Anything I can do to stop it from drinking so much oil?
thanks

Reactions: jamiewatkins2004
I seem to be topping up more and more and can't understand why the A3's burning so much oil. Probably using around a litre every 1000 miles. Cars done 105K miles, its not smoking and can't see any leaks anywhere. Oil pump was replaced around 7K miles ago and I was hoping this would fix the problem but it hasn't really helped.

Could the Turbo be on its way out? or would that not have anything to do with it?

Anything I can do to stop it from drinking so much oil?
thanks

Take the rubber pipe from the turbo to the charge pipe off and look inside that pipe, the turbo outlet and the charge pipe for oil residue...

If there is a lot, then the turbo may be your cause.

The main engine breather dumps into the turbo inlet though, so if its coming from there then the turbo will be wet with oil too.

Yep, take that off and have a look too. If you know this then I'm surprised you haven't been at it already....

if the turbo had oil in it would I be seeing any smoke at all?

any diagrams for which hoses I need to check....i'm not very clued up.

if the turbo had oil in it would I be seeing any smoke at all?

any diagrams for which hoses I need to check....i'm not very clued up.

Generally yes - and I know you said there isn't any, but it may just not be much.

Ultimately, the oil IS going somewhere. If it's not leaking out, then it's getting burnt one way or another.

Three likely causes here:

1) Leaks.

2) Piston ring wear causing the engine to breath heavily and bring oil through the breather system. The wear in itself causes oil to be burnt also, as the rings don't scrape it off the bore as they should. At 105K it's possible, but I've had 2 100K+ engines apart, and seen next to no piston ring wear on either.

3) Turbo seals.