Cam adjuster Gasket, Cam Cover Paint (Pics)

S3 TAM

Pocket now empty
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a slight leak from the cam adjuster gasket, so I thought I would replace it while i'm there might as well do the cam cover gasket. Anyway last night I managed to get the cam cover off give it a good clean up and powder coated it black.

but i'm stuck, :confused:

How do I get to the cam adjuster gasket is there a easy way of doing it. Elsawin wants me to start moving the timing belt so the vavles are in a certain position then move the cams in to another position and remove the chain and lift the assembly out. can I do this with out removing the chain.....

Also do you think i should put a coat of Clear Lacquer on top of the powder coat for easy of cleaning later on?

any help will be great. here are some pics so far more to come.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Last edited:
when is anything ever simple with these cars?

I take it you mean the VVT gasket? If it is that, you need to get hold of VAG Tool 3366, this tool will allow you to gently lift the metal gasket and half moon gasket and replace them (it gives you about 5-7mm to play with!). Tool is available to buy from TPS or here: Laser 4581 VAG Vw Audi Seat Camshaft Retaining Tool

The gaskets look like:
039079.jpg
Part no: 058 198 217

I can't fine the 'How To' on it at the minute but do a quick search for "VVT Tensioner" and I'm sure you will come across it...

LOL, how weird, I did my spare one the EXACT same colour on Sunday! I'll post some pics as well when I get home.

I take it you mean the VVT gasket? If it is that, you need to get hold of VAG Tool 3366, this tool will allow you to gently lift the metal gasket and half moon gasket and replace them (it gives you about 5-7mm to play with!). Tool is available to buy from TPS or here: Laser 4581 VAG Vw Audi Seat Camshaft Retaining Tool

The gaskets look like:
039079.jpg
Part no: 058 198 217

I can't fine the 'How To' on it at the minute but do a quick search for "VVT Tensioner" and I'm sure you will come across it...

Yes this is exactly what i'm trying to replace. now i know the correct terminology I might be able to find it.

Thanks

Do the non vvt engines have these gaskets or is it just the later vvt models? Its just i need to do my rocker cover gasket too.

Do the non vvt engines have these gaskets or is it just the later vvt models? Its just i need to do my rocker cover gasket too.

They all have them mate, it sits under the timing chain tensioner. The non VVT models still have the tensioner, just a different type. They still have the gasket.

I wish I could help you there mate, unfortunately I don't have a clue about the non VVT engines (AGU?). I'm sure somebody else will have the right info for you and will post here soon....

Thinking about it, the cam chain will always be there to connect the two cam together (whether the VVT unit is or not) so I would imagine that the gaskets would also be in place... again, I'm only guessing that this is the case.

If you have any problems report back and let us know. I have not long ago changed my VVT unit so pretty familiar with what you should do.

Nathan

F~##*%$$%~#. Not happy.
Right changing the the VVT Gasket was really easy I just undone the 4 x T30 torx screws highlighted in red. Then just lift the hole unit up about 2cm which gives you enough room to remove and replace the Gasket. don't forget to put a little sealant on the blue areas on the gasket.

All done tighting the the nuts for the cam cover doing the last one and snap the hole nut and stud is in my hand. B***cks.
What annoys me is I was using a torque wrench to the correct setting of 10nm. another trip to stealers for a new stud and nut....

18tcamchain-1.jpg

Yeah tell me about it. Just need to get mole grips on the stud to get it out. Just ordered 9 new studs and nuts from audi £4.59. I can live with that. this will be tomorrow nights job. yey

Right finally got round to sorting the car out this weekend. managed to sort the studs out ended up changing 3. also got myself a jetex cone filter and cleaned the TB. here are some pics.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

I think i'm gonna take the inlet mani off and powder coat that aswell.

will post pics when done.

hi, what gasket sealant do you guys use?
not sure i want to spend £16 on the tube from audi!!!

I used some Locktight gasket sealant on my rocker cover gasket and sump and was only a couple of £ from Halfords.

Nathan

cheers guys, i'll pop into halfords

What paint did you use on the rocker cover / cam cover. Looks good might do mine.

hi im going to do mine on saturday how long do ya think it will take to change both gaskets and the half moon
im no good with messing with main parts of the engine but needs doing and got oil coming down the side
of engine under the vvt valve and the half moon has popped out got a quote of 100 for it doing but think ill have a go mi sen

got sealent both gaskets and the special tool plus alother tools that all i need tar

gaz