problems with CV boots

ex_scoobydoo

Reaction score
has anyone had problems with their cv boots popping off all the time, a few month ago i bought a new pair of cv boots from TPS, they keep popping off (outer) sides.
the garage that fitted them for me have now tried 3 different clips and they still come off, is their a special way to fit them, or could the boots just be dodgy, tps told me to contact audi, but they wanted something like £70 to fit them, then see if they come off again, to determine if the boots are dodgy, well i don't have £70.
has anyone else had this problem with their cv boots.

you need the right tool to tighten the clip correctly, my first attempt popped off also and eventually cost me a cv joint.

My dads old style method of using a tie wrap didn`t last 2 mins it came off as it it wasn`t there.

I bought the right tool and its been fine since. Audi boot kits are about £28 and you get everything new, boot, clip , grease bolt and some washers.

Agree with above^^^

There is a 'wind-up' type tool you can buy to tension the metal tie-wrap that comes in the kit (I'll ask my dad where he got it from / how much it costs), this allows the metal tie wrap to be almost stretched and grip tightly onto the boot (noticed how they are more rigid and less 'rubbery' than the old boot that came off?)

I managed to get mine pretty tightly fitted as a result, it seems to have almost cut into the boot it's that tight (and still there with no problems 12 months / 12k miles later!)

hi
can you point me to the tool, my mechanic has some special tightening tool but that still never worked, ive tried big jubilee clips, zip ties you name it, yes the new boots are very hard, i think that's one of the problems. what tool is it you used
thanks

Last edited:
Had a quick google but can't find the type we used online, only way to describe how it works is that you wrap the end part of the tie (the bit you have already fed through the head of the tie) onto a slot (which is connected to a handle), this spools the tie up until it (the tool) starts pressing against the head of the tie, wind the handle up a little more until very tight and then snip the coiled end off slot, job done. The tool isn't like the 'gun variety', it looks kinda like a tin opener.

Ahaa, I remember now, the ones originally in the packaging (hook type) didn't last long, they didin't hold well either and the boot came off after a week so I used the stainless steel type tie-wraps and the tool for tensioning them up (the second one listed in fingermouses post).