Shredded screws

darkfibre

Reaction score
Guys,

I want to take off my wing mirrors, but one of the screws at the bottom of the mirror has a shredded philips thread and the screw driver can't lock on.

How the hell can I get it off?

I've tried the rubber band technique but to no avail...

Please advise?

If it is threaded then you most likely will have to drill it out. Start with a small drill piece to start a hole and work up to a larger one big enough to take the head off. Once you have taken the top part of the bolt off then you should be able to free it off. Andy

I would drill it out, the screws in question are tiny! You wouldn't be able to apply pressure for the JML extractor to grip it I think, and they are a few pence from Audi to replace!!

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I'm just wondering if that screw extractor will be small enough to grip the screws in question...as Jojo mentions, they're pretty tiny :/

Sorry to drag this one up again. Still having problems with this. Because of the positions of the screws (being so close to the door panel), I'm finding it difficult to find a way to drill them out.

Can anyone advise how I can get them out?

are these the screws that hold the black base plate to the underside of the mirror? If it is, next question is how much does that black base plate cost? Not much? Brute force then....

After the bottom screws are off are there any other that need taking off to change the casing? Of got this far but now stuck!