New age flat bottomed steering wheel on an 8L

Seansy

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Had a brief search as I have done a number of times and found only this swap on 8P s3's, please correct me if that's the case!

Looking at a recent non s or rs flat bottomed steering wheel to place in my 2001 S3, and as many seem to be available, I was also wondering if I would need to change other external parts (boss, rack, etc etc) I understand obv. that paddles are a no go (duh). Anything in regard to airbags and ecu?

Cheers in advance!

Seán

Don't know if the splines are the same mate but the airbag defo won't work as the newer cars use two stage airbags where our S3 will have single stage.

Ewan.

Hi Sean,

I know over on the 8P Section we have to change the slip ring. I also seen an B5 RS4 on Piston heads with this mod.
May be worth PM some on the others over on the 8P Section. Sure they could tell you what you would need to change.

Firstly cheers Ewan, I take it the airbag is a package with the portion of the wheel which pops open when the brown stuff hiteth the fan? If not I guess a cut and shut airbag system wouldn't be good/safe? Plus would it be an MOT fail?

And Benskin cheers. My search was very 8Pcentric in what was found, will pm your lot on a few. Some chap from SA was recently sorting a TTRS one for his 07 S3 with a lot of input from others on there...

Firstly cheers Ewan, I take it the airbag is a package with the portion of the wheel which pops open when the brown stuff hiteth the fan? If not I guess a cut and shut airbag system wouldn't be good/safe? Plus would it be an MOT fail?

And Benskin cheers. My search was very 8Pcentric in what was found, will pm your lot on a few. Some chap from SA was recently sorting a TTRS one for his 07 S3 with a lot of input from others on there...

No problem, yeah i seen that thread. Some of the guys have the new RS6 flat bottom steering wheel on there A3/S3 now.
Lovely steering wheel aswell nice mod to any Audi.

I looked into this a while ago, ended up coming up against a brick wall with the two stage airbag situation, never found a way around it and didnt fancy not having my airbag as it voids your insurance.

I looked into this a while ago, ended up coming up against a brick wall with the two stage airbag situation, never found a way around it and didnt fancy not having my airbag as it voids your insurance.

Voids insurance?! Even if you declare it as an aftermarket steering wheel?

Yup. when i looked into it, was told several times it will void your insurance if you have a crash that would deploy the airbag, you'll pass the mot as they have no way of checking wether it works or not.

I know :(, i was gutted too, what i couldnt figure out was why couldnt their be an adaptor for our single stage to port to dual stage etc, surely if a company managed to produce one they'd make a killing!

I agree. Had a google search on the matter and this was found on tyresmoke

Dual Stage Airbag (B7) in a B6 - Tyresmoke Forums

Different cars but the same outcome. States it's been done but the implications leave a lot to be desired. I wonder if the issue all lies with the bag construction as well? I mean, it fires up immediately then moments (less) later. Wouldn't there be a way of retrofitting the one stage bag to the section which goes *pop*?

So this cant be done on a 8L S3 without losing the airbag? Its pointless driving without an airbag incase the worst has happend, and i know it saves your life from being in a bad smash myself through no fault of my own!

Cheers