Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    3rd Gear

Status

Post Headlight motor question

Hi, quick question, Im due for an mot in a couple of days, last time it failed on ther headlights not being high enough (plus a few other small things) but the garage were not able to adjust them. Ive read a few posts and people have mentioned unplugging the headlamp motor and manualy adjusting them yourself.

I just need to know is this the motor highlighted in yellow in this pic.

Thanks for the help. No idea why pics upside down, this is next to the battery.

Allan
    2001 Audi S3 - Facelift - Revo remap - Forge 007p DV - BMC Panel Filter- Type R Ariel - Aero wipers - n75j valve.

2. # ADS
    ADS

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    I had to adjust mine manually by that beige/yellow thing you see there in front of you. Just turn it from the top with a torx with your headlights on at night facing a wall and make sure they line up correctly.

Sorry but i don't know if that's the plug lol.
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi, thanks ill give it a go. I think I definitely need to unplug the motor as the guy testing them said that the lights either went all the way up or all the way down. Hopefully with the motors disconnected I can manually adjust without any problems, just need them lined up to get through MOT, then I’ll look at fixing the problem permanently.

Allan
    2001 Audi S3 - Facelift - Revo remap - Forge 007p DV - BMC Panel Filter- Type R Ariel - Aero wipers - n75j valve.

Quattro ist für sissies

Status
    I tried adjusting mine a little while ago but they didnt seem to move. Does the headlight plugs need to be unplugged first then you can manually adjust them.

Nathan
    For sale

3" Downpipe and de cat (will be going on ebay soon)
    Autogauge boost gauge
    Chrome Audi Number plate surrounds

PM for info.

1st Gear

Status
    I also have mis-aligned headlights. But im not sure if the passenger one is too high, or the drivers one is too low lol.

Theres about 2M difference in height when sat in the drivers seat and looking onto a dark road. Any ideas?
    _____________________________________2010 Audi A5 Sportback S-Line ____________________________________

Neutral

Status
    And another person nicking the thread.... Mine rises at start up and then the lights dip really low. DLS (droopy light syndrome) has effected me. I've lost my gf and pushing my loved ones away because of this. Help!

Sen

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Nattie View Post
    I tried adjusting mine a little while ago but they didnt seem to move. Does the headlight plugs need to be unplugged first then you can manually adjust them.

Nathan
    When i did mine i just put a torx bit in there and started adjusting it. I didn't have to do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by devan View Post
    I also have mis-aligned headlights. But im not sure if the passenger one is too high, or the drivers one is too low lol.

Theres about 2M difference in height when sat in the drivers seat and looking onto a dark road. Any ideas?
    2 metre difference!? You better get that sorted
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Manualy adjusting them doesnt normaly work as the headlight will just re-adjust to what is was before, you either have to unplug the leveling motor or use vag com to set the preffered height.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Ross_S4

Status
    Jonesy, have you had the car scanned for fault codes to see if your headlight motors, level sensors, or controller are u/s?
    To propery set the headlight aim you also need either the audi garage diagnostic kit or access to vagcom, however most people on here set them then unplug the motors to stop auto-levelling.

I had the levels set on mine at the last (Free) MOT and have had no problems since.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi rossbrownlee, can you tell me if the part marked in the picture is the leveling motor? I do have vagcom, but cant scan it at the moment as i spilt water on my netbook and it stopped working

Thanks for the replies

Allan

colicabcadam
    why not just look for the leveling sensor and change the angle of it using washes or something lol

Ross_S4

Status
    i'm almost certain it is mate, those are facelift headlights yeah? my car is pre-facelift and i've never worked on facelift ones so not 100%.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks ill have a look tomorrow morning.

5th Gear

Status
    Yes. That's definitely the headlamp adjuster motor. To remove the plug, you need to put a flat balded screwdriver down the side to lift the retaining clip away from the plug body.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Guys,

A quick search turned up this topic.

My Drivers side headlight, doesn't adjust as the plastic cog has, well, fallen off! Anybody know of a fix for this?