Headlight motor question

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hi, quick question, Im due for an mot in a couple of days, last time it failed on ther headlights not being high enough (plus a few other small things) but the garage were not able to adjust them. Ive read a few posts and people have mentioned unplugging the headlamp motor and manualy adjusting them yourself.

I just need to know is this the motor highlighted in yellow in this pic.

IMG_0256.jpg

Thanks for the help. No idea why pics upside down, this is next to the battery.

Allan

I had to adjust mine manually by that beige/yellow thing you see there in front of you. Just turn it from the top with a torx with your headlights on at night facing a wall and make sure they line up correctly.

Sorry but i don't know if that's the plug lol.

Hi, thanks ill give it a go. I think I definitely need to unplug the motor as the guy testing them said that the lights either went all the way up or all the way down. Hopefully with the motors disconnected I can manually adjust without any problems, just need them lined up to get through MOT, then I’ll look at fixing the problem permanently.

Allan

I tried adjusting mine a little while ago but they didnt seem to move. Does the headlight plugs need to be unplugged first then you can manually adjust them.

Nathan

I also have mis-aligned headlights. But im not sure if the passenger one is too high, or the drivers one is too low lol.

Theres about 2M difference in height when sat in the drivers seat and looking onto a dark road. Any ideas?

And another person nicking the thread.... Mine rises at start up and then the lights dip really low. DLS (droopy light syndrome) has effected me. I've lost my gf and pushing my loved ones away because of this. Help!

Seán

I tried adjusting mine a little while ago but they didnt seem to move. Does the headlight plugs need to be unplugged first then you can manually adjust them.

Nathan

When i did mine i just put a torx bit in there and started adjusting it. I didn't have to do anything else.

I also have mis-aligned headlights. But im not sure if the passenger one is too high, or the drivers one is too low lol.

Theres about 2M difference in height when sat in the drivers seat and looking onto a dark road. Any ideas?

2 metre difference!? You better get that sorted :p

Manualy adjusting them doesnt normaly work as the headlight will just re-adjust to what is was before, you either have to unplug the leveling motor or use vag com to set the preffered height.

Jonesy, have you had the car scanned for fault codes to see if your headlight motors, level sensors, or controller are u/s?
To propery set the headlight aim you also need either the audi garage diagnostic kit or access to vagcom, however most people on here set them then unplug the motors to stop auto-levelling.

I had the levels set on mine at the last (Free) MOT and have had no problems since.

Hi rossbrownlee, can you tell me if the part marked in the picture is the leveling motor? I do have vagcom, but cant scan it at the moment as i spilt water on my netbook and it stopped working :(

Thanks for the replies

Allan

why not just look for the leveling sensor and change the angle of it using washes or something lol

i'm almost certain it is mate, those are facelift headlights yeah? my car is pre-facelift and i've never worked on facelift ones so not 100%.

Yes. That's definitely the headlamp adjuster motor. To remove the plug, you need to put a flat balded screwdriver down the side to lift the retaining clip away from the plug body.

Cheers,

Hi Guys,

A quick search turned up this topic.

My Drivers side headlight, doesn't adjust as the plastic cog has, well, fallen off! Anybody know of a fix for this?