Easy way to get fuel lines off for cleaning sender?

sprally

Reaction score
Can't seem to budge them, trying to clean fuel sender as it's reading full all the time, any easy way to do it?

i struggled with these, apparently the clip comes off them and they slip off but damned if i found out to do it...left it in the end

Having not seen them it's a bit hard to give input, BUT, are they like the ones on the fuel filter Tim?

Do you mean the ones onto the pump? the ribbed plastic ones?
I changed my pump the other week and had to deal with these little buggers

If there the same as the fuel filter then you need to release the pressure from the fuel lines first then they generally come off pretty easily iirc

The preasure in the ones to/from the filter will drop by itself if you leave the car parked up say half hour before you start.
The other pipes im thinking of go from the pump/swirl pot to or from the sender... they are a pain, but can be done if the pump assembly is taken out of the tank.

its the ones on the level sensor housing which is under the rear bench..... i presume thats where the OP is trying to get into as thats what will need a clean

IIRC the sender unit is on the side of the swirl pot ( which the pump sits inside of )
the ones that have the metal crimp clips on?

dunno doood, A few people pointed me i the direction of the level sensor which is on that bi plastic thing which is screwed into the top of the tank, you access it under the rear seat.....and that was confirmed by a VAGcat diagram

It's the inlet and outlet fuel lines, on the top off the unit under the passenger seat, there must be a simple way to get them off, I'd post a pic but no sure how to do it from phone.

we know what ya mean mate..... i never got to the bottom of it even with my recent post on the subject, and you really dont wana break em do ya :)

Right... just spoke to my mate who has done this job many many times...
He said, and i quote... " even you could do it "
They are the same as the clips on the fuel filter... but sometimes can be a bit tight... so push down ( pushing the pipe further on) slightly then push the tab in and pull the pipe off.

Right... just spoke to my mate who has done this job many many times...
He said, and i quote... " even you could do it "
They are the same as the clips on the fuel filter... but sometimes can be a bit tight... so push down ( pushing the pipe further on) slightly then push the tab in and pull the pipe off.

Yep, it's a magic button job. The magic button is on the clip!

Its just a little slide bit on the bottom edge opposite the way the pipe goes. Its about 1mm wide and you push it in towards the pipe and it releases. I`ll be looking at mine again soon so will take a pic

I had a full tank of fuel so abandoned the job but any tips on getting the sender out ??? Do you have to undo the torx fastenings on the pump to remove the sender to get it out ???

the fumes got to me in the end

haha so not looking forward to this..... any ideas on cost of new sensor? think the A3 wil have to have a new one, just chucked £30 in the tank (mines in bodyshop this week :( ) and done a ten mile journey, it started showing 180 miles in the DIS then went up to 235 miles gradually.....too big a swing if you ask me

i wiggled mine in the tank a few times and it seems to be reading better might have been because it was left with a empty tank for 4 weeks while I was on holiday ??? Gonna have another look now the tank is lower but still might be another week until its empty :).

Im sure it will cleam up as I guess it some sort of potentiometer ???

no idea mate, did same with the A3....wiggled it about a bit as couldnt get the lines off, seems ok since though and it only kicked up a fuss after its first full tank since ownership