Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

abs light stays on

car in question: audi a3 1.8 1997

a quick question hopefully! when you start the car the abs light comes on and stays on, no other lights stay on. the guy i bought it off (owned 2 days) showed me that if you turn the ignition key back a fraction it goes out. and it does. apparently a garage showed him and told him it was an expensive fix and it was not a problem just turning the key back.

so my question is does anyone have any ideas on what it may be? it seems like it is missing a return spring or something.

any help appreciated.

Steve

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Vagcom scan to see whats wrong with the ABS is your first step.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Another S3 owner....

Status
    Didn't some else have a simialr problem recently and he was told by Audi he needed a new haldex controller , which cured it ?
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

2nd Gear

Status
    ABS Sensor?...i had same sort of problem on mine.The ABS light stayed on and could feel juddering when under braking etc.

A3 1.8 TURBO| RS6 18INCH ALLOYS | FORGE 007 | SMOOTHED O/E BOX WITH COLD AIR FEED | COILOVERS | MOTECH RE-MAP | FULL CREAM LEATHER | FORGE DV RELOCATION | FORGE TIP HOSE|SILICONE BOOST HOSES|REMOVED REAR WIPER|G60 FLYWHEEL & VR6 CLUCTH|MILTEK CAT BACK DISCREET SYSTEM|312MM BRAKE UPGRADE|UPRATED DOG BONE MOUNT.

3rd Gear

Status
    the bit thats strange is that if you turn the ignition key back (anti clockwise) about 1 degree it goes out, so i don't think its a sensor, it must be to do with the ignition barrel i think.