Hesitation @ 3k RPM

s3ajy

Reaction score
...How is everyone, im new the world of S3 ownership but not VAG 20Vt, last car being a stage 2 Mk4 Ibiza Cupra.

The problem im having as the title suggest is when coming onto boost (around the 3K mark) the car hestitates for a sec before picking up again. And then it pulls as strong as (i think) it should.

Bought the car back in may, and is a joy to drive, completly standard appart from Lowering springs and a remaps..which is where it get confussing. With the wod of papers i got with car it came with 2 invoices for 2 different maps, all beit 5 years appart. One was for a revo stage 1 and the other a star performance re-map. I know the first thing i should be looking at is the map. but just wanting to get other peoples experiences.

Could it be the TIP collapsing when on full boost?? if so im guessing a forge or sfs tip would solve it?
Seen other threads where the fuel pump wasnt up to the job, but surly a stage 1 map with no other supporting mods would affect this? no? if that is the case what could i replace it with?

Thank you in advance... :)

You got vag com? Would log the car if you can, see what the maf readings are and the actual vs requested boost, also check for any vac leaks. When was it last serviced?

not got vag-com but have got access to it. it will be due a service in about 1000 miles but will get that done when the MOT runs out at the end of the month. I very rarly drive the car as its my weekend toy.

Car has got full audi/starperformance history, and has just turned over 100k miles.

If you have access then get the car logged. Does the hesitiation continue after 3k or does it go away once past 3k?

No the hesitation just seems to be focused around the 3k mark, and doesnt happen all the time. like i said in my original post, it pulls well through the rest of the rev range.

Spoke to a guy lastnight about logging it, and who is a bit of a vag guru in the north east, reckons MAF and/or lambda could be the problem, but that was just guess work.

is it violent or just a slight miss?

After i changed the engine in the A4 it was acting rather odd, with quite violent judders seemingly at random, but only when at full throttle and below 3k. Once above 3k it pulled cleanly right up the revs.

Swapped the coils for those from the original motor, and the problem went away.

is it violent or just a slight miss?

After i changed the engine in the A4 it was acting rather odd, with quite violent judders seemingly at random, but only when at full throttle and below 3k. Once above 3k it pulled cleanly right up the revs.

Swapped the coils for those from the original motor, and the problem went away.

Yup, i had this issue. I had the coil packs changed and problem solved. You should check them out.

It will be a coil on the way out, just had the same happen to me. Hesitation / judder at 3000rpm will progressively get worse. First time I have had a coil go like this. In the past they have totally gone and you a running on 3 cylinders.

When I first got my car I used to get a surging and hesitation around 2500 rpm on part throttle. Cleaned my throttle body which was fairly grubby and it when away. If you do decide to clean your throttle body, make sure you take it off because its behind the flap that really gets dirty.

Nathan