arm rest on 1.8t a3 98

tazmalik

Reaction score
Ive seen the driver arm rest on 2001 a3's ..iv got a 98 1.8t, is there anyway u can get an arm rest fitted in my motor?:huh:

I thought the arm rest was standard in the 1.8T? Ive got a 1999 1.8T and it has one :)

Optional extra when new, you can look on eBay but they are few and far between, they sell very quickly.

I bought one for the S3 straight from the dealer, expensive though...

nope mines hasnt got one :( .. guess il just have to search on ebay, doubt it il find anything.. lol

There a pain in the *** anyway, with it down l can't get any gears, would be good on a auto.

Sometimes its easyer to buy things direct from dealers even if the pirce is higher, from experiance you can spend ages looking for something, find it, pay quite a lot, pay for shipping or drive to get it, and find there is a massive flaw in it or it dosent work. And the circle continues lol

There a pain in the *** anyway, with it down l can't get any gears, would be good on a auto.

I found that a little in the A3 but you soon get used to it, I wouldn't be without one now.

Sometimes its easyer to buy things direct from dealers even if the pirce is higher, from experiance you can spend ages looking for something, find it, pay quite a lot, pay for shipping or drive to get it, and find there is a massive flaw in it or it dosent work. And the circle continues lol

I agree, at least you know your getting a brand new genuine item !

I use mine all the time. Ive tried driving without it and its just werid.lol.

If you think its a pain in the *** then sell it to tazmalik :) Everyones a winner.

I use mine all the time. Ive tried driving without it and its just werid.lol.

If you think its a pain in the *** then sell it to tazmalik :) Everyones a winner.

Would do, but the misses likes it. I'm 6,4" and its a pain.

How is it fitted into the car? Is it bolt in or is some drilling required?

I have one on my 97 1.8t and I hate it. If it can be taken off without leaving the car looking a mess then I'll happily sell it!

i need to know this too i want one...my old one had a rest and now it feels weird!!!!

How is it fitted into the car? Is it bolt in or is some drilling required?

The little square section behind the handbrake needs to be cut out, under this the securing bracket is already in place, you then bolt the bracket you get with the armrest to this and bobs your uncle, though it is a tight gap and fiddly to do, but worth it IMO.

Last edited:
I have one on my 97 1.8t and I hate it. If it can be taken off without leaving the car looking a mess then I'll happily sell it!

if u can manage 2 get it off, il be interested in taking it off u..

Its easy peasy to remove.
You just lift the rear ashtray out and there's a clamp arm holding it in. Remove the fixing nut, slide the clamp arm out and voila.

IMO, mine is nice to have, and if i ever did a long journey it would make it abit more comfortable.

So you dont have to do any cutting?

Yeah you do, the little square storage tray above the rear ash tray has to be cut out, it's easy enough though cos it's a perfect template to fit the armrest...

you could just do a swap of the whole handbrake console aswel. it has to come off to get the arm rest off neway, therfor no cutting and no holes involved.... its ok, you can send me my 5% commision of the final sale price via paypal :D

Im driving around in a courtsey a3 with an armrest, and to be fair it makes me mad when its down as i cant get comfortable when doing the gears, so i wont be getting an armrest, however on long motorway trips i can see how it it would be great