Newbie - Just fitted aftermarket headunit and now no central locking!

Stanley

Reaction score
Hey there folks!

First of all, im Stan from Dumfries in Scotland.

Ive just purchased a 1998 Audi A3 1.8 20v T Sport 3door in red.

Its completely standard......

Until today . . .

My abysmal Concert head unit finally gave up the ghost (volume problem), and i had my old head unit (USB, Ipod etc etc) lying around, so set about fitting that.

It fitted fine after purchasing the necessary fascia peices and wiring harness to enable the rear speakers, but now my remote central locking doesnt work.

I gather this is normal when fitting an aftermarket head unit, but i cant remedy it!

Now, i have tried searching but never found a definitive answer....

Please help!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Any ideas?

I have tried various methods to re-sync the keys, but to no avail.

Getting ready to torch the ****** soon.

Have you had a look on the fuse guide to make sure you havent? i blew the interior light fuse and it looked fine to the eye, replaced it though and lights were back on, happy days.

I had a look at fuse number 6 as that is the central locking fuse, and its fine. I may try and replace it though.

not sure on your problem but on mine the doors wont unlock when stopped until i take the face of the headunit..(aftermarket)...so there is def a wire related to the locking behind the stereo...HTH

Hmm this sounds promising.

Ive just though too, after i realised this problem, i tried the OE headunit back in and the RCL worked again. So yes, there is definately some connection between the headunit and RCL.

Il try the jumper settings on the loom adapter....

Your wiring to your head unit must be to ignition live, who did the wiring?

Have a look at your wiring, it sounds like it has been bridge to make it ignition live, make it direct to permanent and it should be ok

Your wiring to your head unit must be to ignition live, who did the wiring?

Have a look at your wiring, it sounds like it has been bridge to make it ignition live, make it direct to permanent and it should be ok

You sir, have just earned 3,000,000 e-points.

Thank you very much.

Case closed :-D