Clutch pedal fixed! But now there is no 1st or 2nd gear!

Dane

Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4
Reaction score
Right, RAC man fixed the pedal after it snapped, but now second will not stay in gear, I lift the clutch up, the gear stick gets pushed forward and there's the inevitable grinding noise.

There is also no gate for 1st at all! not even a hint of being able to push it in. I can put it into third and it pulls off OK 4th 5th and 6th also seem to engage fine.

Could do with some ideas guys! I've got a bad feeling about this :(

Cheers

Dane

edit: Its an amk s3 btw

Last edited:
dosnt sound too good that mate, mine snapped last week and i fixed it myself and it works just fie?

hope you get it sorted pal.

Cheers boss, you and me both! The pedal seems fine, no problems there (I even got the chap to change the clutch switch while he was down there). It's pretty worrying that trying to select first is just like trying to push the stick against metal. :(

Last edited:
Sounds like the selector fork for 1st and 2nd had broke, quite common but unfortunatly a very expensive fix involving the gearbox to come out:(

Sounds like the selector fork for 1st and 2nd had broke, quite common but unfortunatly a very expensive fix involving the gearbox to come out:(

Uh oh! this might be why had a bad feeling

I am rather hoping that a cable has jumped out of its locator and it won't be a gearbox out job. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet because of work but if anyone else has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

Ps over 100 posts! Woop!

haha I just tryed phrasing my search differently and just found that vid. I can't turn the sound on at work but it looks like it could be useful. Thanks for posting it where I can find it :thumbsup:

i dont know if there the same box ,but when i had my leon cupra r mk1 the selectors went in that and only left me with first gear....

cost me £600 to fix!

happened to mate i just got another box which i paid 355 for so just gonna get it fitted now im gutted for you

Well we've managed to find first! but second still pops out, so were going to give it another hour tomorrow but im not particularly hopeful! videos very helpful though definitely recommend watching it.

Right, replacement gearbox it is! anyone recommend a business? TPS have quoted £1815.82, GSF can't supply but they are getting back to me with a price from a company/companies they recommend. Obviously this is going to be expensive, £335 seems like a bargain thus far Haglos!

Any body with a suggestion it would be greatly appriciated!

Next: badgering Bill!:laugh:

Cheers chaps

I can indeed, I rushed the post a bit, so if anyone can recomend any companies who can supply and/or repair the gearbox that would be brill.

New best price £590, delivered next day, second hand unit with 50-60K on it (less than mine) and a 90 day guarentee.

I would rather get the original fixed, imagine paying for a second hand box to get fitted and it happening again :crying:

That is a good point but i need my car back as soon as poss really (wedding in Dartmoor), I'll put my hand up and say I think it was my fault that second is a mess I reckon I probably wrecked it when trying to get home so im hopefull that the repairs will last. Is there anything to suggest a higher milage repaired box is any more reliable than a fairly low milage replacement? 6 of one half a dozen of the other I guess, the only difference is that one gets here tomorrow...

Last edited:
Second hand gear box in, replaced the clutch and fly wheel at the same, apparently it was pretty bad, £1200 all in... expensive week!

glad its sorted mate.....

jam and bread for a month now......:crying:

fortunately its nearly the end of the month now but cheers.

New problem though! (shockingly) driving the misses and I to a wedding in Dartmoor and half of the way down the M5 I have no speedo reading, the fuel gauge reading depends on what type of corner I'm going around, and the oil sensor fault light comes on (not the three beeps stop driving one). Fortunately I have the sat nav for a temporary speedo, I had brimmed the car full of petrol before we left and I had checked the oil levels before we left too. So no problems that affect the car physically moving from A to B but some electrical gremlins somewhere.

The car has been back to the garage that did the work who have removed the vehicle speed sensor to find it was sealed with large amounts of silicone! Not happy! but fortunately theres one in the old box which we tryed but to no avail, still no signal to the dash. The engine has been searched for stripped/caught wires but nothing. I know Tim (animal) had the same problem which seems to have sorted itself and Ive read through the linked articles in other forums, but again to no avail. The oil level sensor and VSS are being replaced tomorrow, but I have a sneaky suspision that this might not solve the problem.

I will mention that im good friends with the people at the garage where the work is being done and I am happy that im not having my pants pulled down for a few extra bob. There is also no problem with the connector to the oil level sensor, I've checked and all of the connectors are shiney and clean and the wiring is all enclosed within its guide.

It does strike me as a bit of a coinsidence that the oil sensor started malfunctioning at the same time the speedo and feul sensor did but no exposed wires can be seen. The car has also been scanned with:
An inplausable signal from the vehicle speed sensor which can be cleared and
Code 00562 Oil level sensor, short (I cant remember where to, but its not to ground) which will not clear.

Any ideas anyone? This will make me love my car more... Lol

Oh and I had the clutch replaced too while the box was off, made a world of difference! The new clutch switch also appears to have made a difference, no more over revving! Silver lining and all that...

Got the car back today, the reverse switch supplied with the gear box was also faulty and was shorting the circuit blowing the fuse. The reverse switch was replaced by the one from my old box replaced the fuse and for peace of mind the vehicle speed sensor and now everything is back to normal. Apart from its ****** over revving on gear changes again grrr! Hopefully it will settle down again.