Black spots on rear bumper and hello!!

S3JSR

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been lurking for a while and had been thinking of buying a TT however fell in love with the S3 few weeks ago and now bought a nice one - i think.

Its a may 01 silver with 90 k on clock Audi history, cam etc roll bars all done 2 years ago. I will get some pictures on soon

I have one issue at the moment. The engine does not smoke at cold or warm temps, but after cleaning and then driving for maybe 10 miles I find several small black spots on the tailgate and bumper. The exhaust tip does seem very sooty as well. I am guessing thismaybe a sign of running rich ? Any ideas. The spots are dry and not oily? I am using v power. Any help or tips welcome
Maybe someone else has noticed similar?

Welcome to Audi-Sport.net S3JSR.
I get black spots on the tail gate and rear bumper to I think its just tar

Yes, similar thing for me. Nothing major, but exactly as you describe. Not overly oily either. I'm also running v-power! I'm averaging 30.5mpg (according to the trip computer) so my mpg is fine and I am not losing oil either so I am not concerned.

If its after cleaning it its probably dirty water coming out of the exhaust. Try no to get any water in the exhaust next time and see if it does it again.

I had this on my car and the black spots were oil! Just keep and eye on your oil to make sure your engines not using oil. Otherwise prob just crap off the road surface.

Thanks for the replies guys. Fwiw I fancy this is unburnt fuel I don't think it is oil but will have it checked. As op the soot build up is quite thick just inside tailpipe, maybe try new plugs first then tune up . Any other thoughts are welcome john

I had this on my car and the black spots were oil! Just keep and eye on your oil to make sure your engines not using oil. Otherwise prob just crap off the road surface.

if you have an S3 not using oil then theres sumat wrong :)

incidently i have none of these issues..... tar vs oil are not two you can mistake ;)

i get the same black spots on mine have done for 4 and ahalf years i change my oil every 3k or every year if i dont do that amount of milage, my plugs are changed yearly also, still i get these spots.

the cars never missed a beat and i have regular checks with vag com and nothing comes up i wouldnt worry yur self mate