My slightly broken CV joint (with pics :))

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
New shafts arrived today - top notch. Well impressed. No splits at all in the boots.

For anyone interested - the shafts from a TT Quattro will indeed for an S3 with no problems at all.

So..... The inner CV joint that was knocking? Oooooooohh dear. It was FUBAR in a whole new way.

For openers, I removed the CV from the box and found the circlip for the joint sat in the back case, in the grease. Not good.

Anyway, the damage was quite impressive to be fair. The balls were OK-ish - a few dents and grooves aside.

The bearing race and inner cage however, were impressively broken.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Even the circlip has signs of wear on it.... Somehow.

Anyway, I have my suspicions that this may be the cause of the my mysterious 'clunk'.

The outer boot also had 4 separate tears in it, and was dry as a bone.

Fingers crossed.

PAS not fixed yet so couldn't test drive :(

That not too bad Welly, you should see the CV's we have back at work the shattered. Those can be recon'ed :)

That looks good considering it ran dry. Normally the cage is in about 5 bits! On my track car I had the cages shot peaned to remove the stresses and fingers crossed keep them together longer!

That looks good considering it ran dry. Normally the cage is in about 5 bits! On my track car I had the cages shot peaned to remove the stresses and fingers crossed keep them together longer!

Thats the worst joint i've ever seen to be fair, but then again, I've never run them dry before.... lol.

It was making one hell of a din...

So what was actualy causing your knocking welly? Was it the inner cv boot? Its just i cant find whats knocking on mine at all and while im buying all my suspension parts i want to sort this out too!

So what was actualy causing your knocking welly? Was it the inner cv boot? Its just i cant find whats knocking on mine at all and while im buying all my suspension parts i want to sort this out too!

It was causing some of my knocking, some knocking was the prop shaft, and the third knocking remains at large..... lol.

So even after the cv and prop shaft, it's still knocking?

Yep, less I grant you, but this isn't a knock, more like a clunk. Bearing in mind I've had the underside apart now as well and replaced the prop shaft.

Track rod ends and shocks/top mounts suspect.

Welly I have the same clunk noise since day 1, and to date I have not been able to find it I think it must be coming from the shocks I did steering rack, cv joint re grees, bushes but no luck as yet

Welly I have the same clunk noise since day 1, and to date I have not been able to find it I think it must be coming from the shocks I did steering rack, cv joint re grees, bushes but no luck as yet

LOL, does it drive you spastic too? It makes me soooo mad sometimes. :lmfao: