EM TuningBadger5

Thread: Shy turbo...?

Neutral

Status

Shy turbo...?

2002 1.8T A3 AUM, sometimes has zero turbo at 3.5k+, then suddenly kicks in from nowhere. Almost like it's hesitating, can't really describe it any other way. Have been told previously that it's my N75, just looking for any other opinions before I go splashing out. Car needs to be tip-top by Sept 24th as she's off to R-Tech for a Stage 1 courtesy of my lovely toyboy. Also, did a quick bit of research and there's a few on good old eBay but apparently there are different editions and I'll need a 'J'...

I am SUCH a noob.

Cheers lovelies.x x x
    You aren't stuck in traffic.... You are traffic

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi. You need to vag-com to read the error codes.

DC

6th Gear

Status
    smells like maf

Chugger

Status
    lol lou, i take it you mean jardo?! isnt he a generious jew

probably is n75 or pipes leading too it. Dont bother with a J
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    lol lou, i take it you mean jardo?! isnt he a generious jew

probably is n75 or pipes leading too it. Dont bother with a J

After lengthy investigation I realise that Sportstractor is actually... Custard Dave!!!! Hello dear :-) Yes Jardo is a very generous jew - I think he hopes maybe if he works on my Audi he won't have to drive his Corsa 'Sport' too much lol.

Now I just need someone to offer to vag-com my car so I can warrant spending my hard-earned pennies on an N75... I'M LOOKING AT YOU PRAWN.
    x x x

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    R-Tech will log the car for faults and do a health check before mapping any way..... you wouldn't want to map a car without knowing if its not well.... they will log afterwards too to make sure the map is not causing any probs...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    R-Tech will log the car for faults and do a health check before mapping any way..... you wouldn't want to map a car without knowing if its not well.... they will log afterwards too to make sure the map is not causing any probs...

<tuffty/>
    Yeah that's cool, I just want it running right before I go up there. But I am loathe to spend 50 on a new N75 without knowing that's definitely the problem. Annoyingly it's intermittent so it'll be hard to tell anyway without doing some miles. It seems to be worst when I'm flooring it.

1st Gear

Status
    had similar problem with my mapped a4 and turned out to be the maf at fault but hope for your sake its not as they're double the price of the N75
    2003 S4 Moro Blue Saloon

Chugger

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupigs View Post
    After lengthy investigation I realise that Sportstractor is actually... Custard Dave!!!! Hello dear :-) Yes Jardo is a very generous jew - I think he hopes maybe if he works on my Audi he won't have to drive his Corsa 'Sport' too much lol.

Now I just need someone to offer to vag-com my car so I can warrant spending my hard-earned pennies on an N75... I'M LOOKING AT YOU PRAWN.
    x x x
    what a insult, im not that essex goon. What poor investigation skills. I hope you persuasion skills are better to help prawn part with his healthy N75
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    haha, I think you've been dissed there J, I wouldn't let some bird call me Custard and get away with it!

Pigs: I reckon it's most likely the MAF sensor, sorry I didn't reply to your text, my fingers are too fat to use the iphone keypad

you DO NOT need a J valve, no matter what jardo tells you, you need a standard N75 for your car, which would be an F on the latest revision i believe.

More likely to be the MAF though

Next time it does it, try unplugging the maf and see if the problem goes away.

Also, just buy a vagom lead too, 12 on ebay for a shareware version that'll read all your fault codes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Neutral

Status
    My 'careful investigation' was to ring Jardo and ask 'who is Sportstractor' lol so maybe I should have tried harder....

My new guess is..... James Hayes?

Prawny I have texted you like 3 times in the last week and you havn't replied, why don't you love me? Twasn't Pigs who said to get a J valve, and I know I don't need one anyways now. I'm currently skinters so won't be buying anything anytime soon so maybe you should be a love and bring your clever computer stuff down with you at the end of the month...hmmmmm? Pretty please? You know you'll love diagnosing faults with my car.

x x x

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    My 'careful investigation' was to ring Jardo and ask 'who is Sportstractor' lol so maybe I should have tried harder....

Prawny I have texted you like 3 times in the last week and you havn't replied, why don't you love me? Twasn't Pigs who said to get a J valve, and I know I don't need one anyways now. I'm currently skinters so won't be buying anything anytime soon so maybe you should be a love and bring your clever computer stuff down with you at the end of the month...hmmmmm? Pretty please? You know you'll love diagnosing faults with my car.

x x x
    LOL, this is quite an entertaining read....

As said before, unplug the MAF and see what's what when it does it again, although fault diag is deffo the quickest and best method to go for.

Bear in mind though that faults such as this don't always rear their heads at that point .

Stick with the standard N75 as said before.... There is a post up with comparisons between the valves, with dyno prints and the standard valve is deffo better...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    The reason why your turbo is shy is because its so freakkkkin small! I'm only spending money on your car so its better for me when I give you a grand for it this time next year...when you're getting an RX8 wether you like it or not!

Also, don't diss the Corsa Sport (lol)! All of my interior works fine and it hasn't got any boost problems! And its done less miles and is 10 years older!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for my new car, S2, G60 Corrado, VR6 Mk3, R5GTT, another 205 GTI....the list is endless....nomnomnom
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Neutral

Status
    It hasn't got boost problems because it has no boost. Goon.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status

x x x
    women are such users! at least i think ur a woman.

seriously a lead is soo cheap. do it urself ull feel good about it

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37635 - free delivery 8. (ive used them before theyre very good)

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    women are such users! at least i think ur a woman.

seriously a lead is soo cheap. do it urself ull feel good about it

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37635 - free delivery 8. (ive used them before theyre very good)
    Rude! I need Prawn's amazing Audi-brain to tell me where I am inevitably going wrong.

1st Gear

Status
    Could be N75 not playing ball, turn it round the wrong way. If it massively over boosts then I'd say its a faulty N75.

Seriously order the cable, plug it in with VAG com and post what it comes up with.
    A3 1.8t quattro -
    THS high flow manifold, S3 milltek, Forge 007 DV, THS engine mounts, Performance Haldex Controller (blue), Panel filter

Coming soon - FMIC, Hybrid K03 Turbo, Custom downpipe & high flow cat

Neutral

Status
    Alright alright I've bought one.... Will post results ASAP

Neutral

Status
    17705 Fault code found, pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve - check DV.

So my hesitant car could be because the DV is giving the wrong readings to the MAF, right? So when R-Tech put the Forge 007P on it next month, that'll be fixed?

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Hope so!

Flowing 126G/PS at 6120Rpm theres nothing shy about your turbo babe!

At 2520Rpm it meets the requested boost, then stays bang on the requested boost through to 6380RPM.

Then never do them.

Status
    Sounds fairly good to me! Stock is 120g/s, so you're doing ok there. Dv leak could be causing all sorts of issues, but it's definitely worth cleaning/ replacing the maf, and from my own disappointing experience I'd either replace every single vacuum line, or better still do an n249 delete to avoid it giving you issues
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Hope so!

Flowing 126G/PS at 6120Rpm theres nothing shy about your turbo babe!

At 2520Rpm it meets the requested boost, then stays bang on the requested boost through to 6380RPM.
    The problem is intermittent.... So you wouldnt necessarily have seen it today maybe? Prawn, it won't let me thank you for your post so *THANKS* lol.
    Many loves to you both.x x x

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Oh Mr Prawn...hurry up and come home?!

Then never do them.

Status
    10 days boyo........... For two nights only!