Bushes / Arms - Options

Ian W

Reaction score
I'm wanting to tighten up the front end of my S3 and I reckon the wishbone bushes are going to be well past it at over 100k..

Got two options but not sure which route to take.

Buy two complete arms, can get these trade at £115 + VAT (genuine) and fit them myself or just get the rear bushes changed on the current arms but pay £200 to have it done - tackled changing bushes on the drive once before - never again !

What would you guys do?

If you can fit them yourself then surely you can remove them to get the bushes pressed in by a local garage? I did this, cost me a tenner to get the rears pressed in and used Poweflex in the front of the arm which didn't need pressing...

I bought the solid (non voided) bushes which should be for a TT or S3 anyway but for some reason mine had voided one in...

I bought these...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Front-Wishbone-Rear-Bush-VW-Golf-Leon-A3-New-Beetle-TT-/130419125331

You should be able to remove the original bushes with a bit of careful drilling and hacksawing leaving getting them pressed in... save you some money and get you better bushes...

<tuffty/>

Never thought about that Tuffty, sounds like a plan.

I'm assuming that removing them is no different to other cars out there? Split the ball joint and two bolts into the subframe?

Does the subframe need to be dropped? Anything to look out for?

Has anybody looked at the rear bush that allows for camber correction on lowered cars?
Im looking at these but havent heard any reviews either way

split the ball joint rather than undo it from the arm as you will need to get the alignment done (worth getting a check afterwards anyway tbh)... no need to drop the subframe or owt, just unbolt from it....

Check the Xenon adjuster under the passenger side arch as I cannot remember what part of the suspension thats attached too and it 'may' need to be undone so you don't break the plastic arm of the sensor when the suspension relaxes... I can't remember exactly as its been a while since I did mine..

<tuffty/>

Cheers mate, sounds simple enough to do.

Probably wait until im off work in a few weeks and do it then.