1300 rpm after summer start

kachnak

Reaction score
Hello, when I bought car It was winter and after start there was about 800rpm. But now It is my first summer with this car and after start I have about 1300rpm. (when motor is warm, they fall to 800rpm and than there is no more problem) Is it OK? or where can be problem?
Thank you

I have just sent the same thing in a email to westle. mine is the same! gonna do some logging with vag com today/tomorrow to get exact figures then going to clean throttle body out and do more logging. mine also hunts once it is warm some where between 700 - 900 rpm.

Does yours smell a bit petroly when idling at 1300 rpm? if you shove you nose up the exhaust.

I have just sent the same thing in a email to westle. mine is the same! gonna do some logging with vag com today/tomorrow to get exact figures then going to clean throttle body out and do more logging. mine also hunts once it is warm some where between 700 - 900 rpm.

Does yours smell a bit petroly when idling at 1300 rpm? if you shove you nose up the exhaust.

Vacuum leak written all over it - hunting on idle is a common side effect of a split vac hose. Check the hoses in the engine bay - especially around the inlet manifold area.

Mine does part of this too, apart from the hunting from warm, the engine turns over a few more times than normal before starting up aswell. Usually only happens when starting it first time every morning.

Last edited:
Vacuum leak written all over it - hunting on idle is a common side effect of a split vac hose. Check the hoses in the engine bay - especially around the inlet manifold area.

Cheers Welly,

Was going to clean out throttle body but think i'll check hoses first.

It does sound like a vacc leak but it's also possible that the coolant temp sensor is faulty, for the sake of £15 quid, change it (whilst you are checking for vacc leaks / cleaning the throttle body and have your hands dirty, it'll take another two minutes of your time). Replace any leaky pipes with some 4mm ID silicon hose, dealer prices are ridiculous for genuine replacements.

Run throttle body adaptation using VCDS after cleaning the throttle body and Bob's your mothers brother (hopefully).

Right i've checked the vac pipe's can't see any splits in them but their must be because the one under inlet mani 'centre' with right angle was CAKED in black deposits of some thing i'm guessing dried oil but could be wrong. The pipe has some sort of funny shaped joiner which spilts to 2 other pipes I think, how would I replace that because it's all caked in s**t.

The pipe from the top of TB is starting to perish what would I replace that with becuase it turns in to a soild pipe "I think it's fuel but again could be wrong".

I have recently changed my coolant temp sensor back in Feb.

I'm goning to clean TB and run throttle body adaptation using VCDS tonight, whats the best thing to clean TB with?

Sorry for Epic Post....

Right i've checked the vac pipe's can't see any splits in them but their must be because the one under inlet mani 'centre' with right angle was CAKED in black deposits of some thing i'm guessing dried oil but could be wrong. The pipe has some sort of funny shaped joiner which spilts to 2 other pipes I think, how would I replace that because it's all caked in s**t.

The pipe from the top of TB is starting to perish what would I replace that with becuase it turns in to a soild pipe "I think it's fuel but again could be wrong".

I have recently changed my coolant temp sensor back in Feb.

I'm goning to clean TB and run throttle body adaptation using VCDS tonight, whats the best thing to clean TB with?

Sorry for Epic Post....

Just use similar diameter silicone hose to replace whatever hoses you need to.

The hose to the top of the TB is again a breather - same rules as above if it needs replacing.

Best thing to clean TB with is something like carb and choke cleaner... watch out for the gasket though, they do have a habit of splitting when removed. May be a good idea to get some instant gasket to have handy, just in case. Or a new gasket! lol.

welly mine does this, im fed up of working on it. Can i send it to you and you fix it for me. I will take your yellow thing as a courtesy car...

Just to add to it, I get exact same thing! When I first start up it turns over a few more times before kicking in! I then go up to around 1400 rpm after 5 mins it's back down to 800 ish! Also a bit jerky if I put it in gear and roll with no throttle... Could it also be maf? I'm aware I need one of those so maybe that's all our problems?

I'm in for a group fix by welly, when do you want it.....lol