Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    gez
    S3 hunter

Status

Stage2 pressure regulator needed?

Hi, is a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator needed on stage 2 setup on the S3???

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Nope...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    revo 2 needs one. it make sense to run more fuel to gain more power!
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Revo used to specify having a 4 bar FPR but don't anymore... its not required for a std K04...

Revo stage 2 (or any stage 2 for that matter) doesn't give much more than a stage 1... will feel a bit better though as it will make better use of the stage 2 prerequisits but a 4 bar is really not needed and will tax the standard (old) fuel pumps into early retirement making the engine run lean...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

gez
    S3 hunter

Status
    Ok i didnt think i needed it. Going to amd next sat for stage 2map and was reading on other threads that its needed. You would surly only need it with an upgraded pump and hybrid or the like.

4th Gear

Status
    I agree with you tuffy, I've also heard the pump story before from badger5, but when I wanted to get the stage 2 done, AMD essex told me I would not see any increase in BHP or torque unless I had one of those, so I had to go with the flow.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    hmmmm AMD Essex
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    answer is dependant on the code provider.

is it required? technically no

some write code which is aimed at 4bar being used however... but in tuning terms its not required no, and i fear for the pumps ability to provide sufficient flow when squeazed down to 4bar pressure is risking lean conditions as its flow sags under the pressure, more so on older cars like s3's are

check with your chosen mapper.. is my advise

i dont use them
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    A 4 bar reg will kill a old pump. in my case a 9 year old one...
    Ive got a new one in there now but if the car is mapped again or i take things any further i will change the injectors rather than continue to run 4 bar reg
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    im running 4 bar reg on an AMD map, i was massivly dissapointed with the way the car was mapped by them so much so i hate the map, but in reality the map is very good once its settled and not running silly wow factor boost!!!!!!!!!! for me my stage2 is a huge improvment over stage1 however i have carried out all neccasary mods to get the most from my stage2

i do get about -10 to -15% on my long term fuel trims ever since the mapp i no i have absolotly no boost or vac leaks could this be a sign the pump is struggling???

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    negative values are the ECU taking fuel out as its getting too much...

<tuffty/>

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    oh ok cool cheers, so just poor mapping then??

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Could well be... does doing a fuel trim reset make the car feel faster of slower?

I had this on mine while Bill and I were dynoing it the other weekend...

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    Fuel trim reset??
    All getting a bit technical now
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    yeah, resets ECU adaptions to 0% again forcing the ECU to 're-adapt'... Bill did this to mine on the dyno the other week with interesting results...

The red graph lines are before the reset and the orange lines are after the reset.... I gained more torque and got smoother delivery... this suggests my map needs fuelling adjustments but then we knew that anyway as its not a final one as yet...

<tuffty/>

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Could well be... does doing a fuel trim reset make the car feel faster of slower?

I had this on mine while Bill and I were dynoing it the other weekend...

<tuffty/>
    i reset it via vagcom by clearing fault codes (there arn't any but still seems to reset which puts all values to 0%???) it used to make a difference with better performance and higher boost but now since recently fixing my long issue i have had with boost pressure it seems to stay at the same boost settings and no difference in performance etc with vagcom reset.. can you reset the ecu properly with vagcom?
    Last edited by s3_kev; 7th August 2010 at 17:04.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Not sure if there is a specific way to do it but doing a fault code reset on the engine block will typically reset the adaption values...

<tuffty/>

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_kev View Post
    i reset it via vagcom by clearing fault codes (there arn't any but still seems to reset which puts all values to 0%???) it used to make a difference with better performance and higher boost but now since recently fixing my long issue i have had with boost pressure it seems to stay at the same boost settings and no difference in performance etc with vagcom reset.. can you reset the ecu properly with vagcom?
    Interestingly, I'm getting similar issues, for an unknown reason. My long term trims climb towards -10 for no apparent reason. Also, resetting trims makes no obvious difference in power or drive ability....

Weird....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    your using revo software arn't you?? so maybe its not software related? prehaps if you find a fault you could point me in the right direction

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_kev View Post
    your using revo software arn't you?? so maybe its not software related? prehaps if you find a fault you could point me in the right direction
    Will do - I've not looked into it at any length yet as the adaptions aren't getting high enough to make me want to remove my arse from the sofa. I should do though.

Question - have you de-meshed your MAF?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Will do - I've not looked into it at any length yet as the adaptions aren't getting high enough to make me want to remove my arse from the sofa. I should do though.

Question - have you de-meshed your MAF?
    did have but it seemed to have negative effects, was good to start with but the maf started to fail