Can't decide ?

whattodo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just joined, because i am thinking of buying an S3, but the missus wants an A3 tdi or a volvo s40. Her resoning is that if i buy what i want we it will be an 8 year old car, if she gets what she wants it will be a 4/5 year old car for the same money.. Whilst i can't argue with her logic, i really want the S3:laugh:

Is there anything i should be looking out for when buying an S3 and is there really any way that i can justify buying an older car to the missus ?

Help !! :tocktock:

8 year old car has lost more of its value and will most likely do the same to the gallon as the volvo :)

Age does not neccessarily mean anything. I had a 1995 Celica GT4 and did not have any issues at all with it for the 18 months I had it! I had a 57 plate Astra from new and head went after about 14 months (although they never exactly owned up it could have been down to my garage that caused it whilst in for a service...long story...) but I have had other problems with the car. I know VX's are not known for quality etc though but my previous car was a VX from new again and that was OK.

If fuel consumption is not an issue, do it!

Like said, take her for a test drive. The S3 is really nice car, you should just turn up one evening in it :)

Last edited:
Volvo S40 is a good car.....:undwech:

Cheers for the replies,

I know she is just being practical, a newer car, less milage, better mpg, less tax, 4 doors...etc..etc.. But i hate practicality, nearly as much as i hate her being right and getting her own way :jump: .. And i really want one :w00t:

I should add, i have 2 kids too... But they can be squeezed into the back :yes:

Cheers for the replies,

I know she is just being practical, a newer car, less milage, better mpg, less tax, 4 doors...etc..etc.. But i hate practicality, nearly as much as i hate her being right and getting her own way :jump: .. And i really want one :w00t:

I should add, i have 2 kids too... But they can be squeezed into the back :yes:
not the best for kids...but you will get them in...plus they will love daddys fast car....lol

not the best for kids...but you will get them in...plus they will love daddys fast car....lol

One is only 2, so he will be in a car seat anyway, and the other is 11.. He wants one too, but he's been looking an pistonheads and picked all the yellow ones with seats that look like wasps :tocktock::jump:
Do you think room in the back will be an issue ?

One is only 2, so he will be in a car seat anyway, and the other is 11.. He wants one too, but he's been looking an pistonheads and picked all the yellow ones with seats that look like wasps :tocktock::jump:

its not really the room, its the getting in and out especially with a seat

The boy knows the ways :thumbsup:

Agree with s3Dave: Lot's of room inside, just the process of getting in and out of the back is a pain.

Ahh, but there are benifits of not having rear doors... The kids can't touch door handles, and they don't have elictric windows to fiddle with, i'm sure i can convince her that they are good reasons :jump:

I have been looking at a few 03 cars, what would be considered high milage ?

Cheers