Mk3 Golf VR6... Rate or Slate?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
I used to have one and mine was a fine fine example.
Ive always missed her,
Tonight a friend of mine brought his around and threw me the keys...
I love it !
I know in the mild state of tune tonights play thing is in that power is way off my S3 but the low down grunt is great,
Mine was about on par with my S3 so quite diffrent. But tonight has made me want one again...

What do people think of these cars???

used to love the look of these...... just the right size car too....and that sound...boootiful :)

Todays toy had a full scorpion exhaust and a massive air filter.
The noise was great

i had a very nice highline, in black lovely to drive, sounded the ******, with about 4k spent on it in REAL nice bits, BUT it went ok but the torque is crap handled AWFUL wuld i have another , NO do i still love it YES. just a shame there handling really lets them down, as looks wise and noise its a great car!

VR612.jpg

Last edited:
Mine span on me when somebody pulled out on me... leaving me rolled into a field threw a wall and into a tree.
My car had a VF engineering stage 2 supercharger but could it corner with all that power?
If you saw the corner coming maybe... but a fast change of direction... NOPE.
It nearly killed me and is the reason i have an S3 now.
Would i swap my S3 for THAT car??
In a second.

Heavy and thirsty,span the wheels from standing start and torque steer kept my adrenaline flowing but sounded very good,jetex induction with scorpion exhaust lowered on coilovers

he means this will run for 5 pages

And his point is??
Why be so down?

VR6Righteditd.jpg

I love them and wondered who else who now has an S3 like me has been touched by THAT noise

Last edited:
The problems with them are there and plain to see.
So why would i take it back tommorow?
Somethings in life make very little sence

Question is, Is it a Classic / Icon? Over to 1animal1 to answer this one..:p

r32.JPG

000_0090.jpg

little children cried and rotweillers whimpered when I booted it.

The problems with them are there and plain to see.
So why would i take it back tommorow?
Somethings in life make very little sence

paul either you ar drunk or you have had sexual relations with your old vr6.....only joking mate

yes you dont forget the sound of them

Last edited:
the reason its good is because its "raw" (ie basic) and just a laugh to chuck about

why do you think that the s4 i bought to replace my mk3 was sold two months ago? i cant live without the "raw" thing in my life, its just a primeval joy to sling a car about, which modern stuff doesnt do anywhere near as well

if you thought that was a laugh, jump in a well sorted mk2. then youll really question what youd have as everyday transport

A classic?
No, But a car that touched alot of people,
Every one of those people know the faults... but still remember the happy days,
Not what makes for an iconic car. But a good old friend .

the reason its good is because its "raw" (ie basic) and just a laugh to chuck about

why do you think that the s4 i bought to replace my mk3 was sold two months ago? i cant live without the "raw" thing in my life, its just a primeval joy to sling a car about, which modern stuff doesnt do anywhere near as well

if you thought that was a laugh, jump in a well sorted mk2. then youll really question what youd have as everyday transport

Ive got an atleast half well sorted Mk2 golf. again around the same power as the S3 ( when i play with the NOS controler.)
The mk2 is a real smile car. everytime. But hard work some times with no power stearing, only two seats... The "VR" was an obvious upgrade from the mk2 and did its job as a family taxi for a while before the "what if " question was asked by me

i have had 3 in the last ten years and every time i see one my heart starts pounding lol, the sound, the pull of the first gear and the cult look!

as mentioned by others though, it is lethal on the puny 15" wheels and 'jacked up' ride height, but coilovers and a nice set of 17's sorts that out lol

I love it and would love to get one again but........ i get in too much trouble with them so im not allowed lol

VR611.jpg

Loved my engine bay this was just before i fitted the chrome rocker cover, fuel rail and ported inlet and big bore TB... i sold it just after as got offered £5k for it...

I believe the lad ruined after :(

Definitely a cruiser. Great engine sound. Best thing about them I think.

I had one a few years back, front tyres didnt last long and only getting aroung 15/20 MPG it was a little thirsty!!

I put a K&N on it and the difference in sound was crazy, needless to say the MPG dropped further as I could not keep my foot off the loud pedal!!!

I RATE :yes:

any of you driven a mk2 with a vr on board?!! now thats something to behold haha

luv the sound..

would get an R32 tho in modern money
same sound, and 4wd in better chassis

VR's sound the dogs

hows about an r32 or mk4 4mo and turbo it, give Gary a run for his money ;)

Was looking at getting a corrado VR6 but they seemed to demand silly money when I was looking so went with the S3 instead. Always remember the VR6 golf being the car to aspire to when I was in the veedub scene. VR6 in a mk2, dub sports peach mk1 VR6 was the way forward, remembering seeing it in a golf mag after it had been sold on, resprayed green with cream corrado recaro interior. Didnt the german market get a syncro mk3 VR6?

on sunday there was a mk3 vr6 synchro with scharger at north weald

Remember seeing on one forum a guy who had built an R32 corrado Synchro this was about 4-5 years back.

I had a little drive in a mk2 with a supercharged R32 engine.
Massive smiles ...until i came to a roundabout...was sooooo heavy it wanted to ignore my request to go around the thing !

Sounds about right, did it start out as just a VR6 Synchro conversion then he got hold of an R32 lump?

and then i think the r32 lump made its way into a mk4 4motion too

Love the sound and low end grunt, in fact would sell my right ******* to have a VR!!

I HATE the handling. Standard examples felt too soft up front of which I've tried.

'Rado VR or a mk2 VR please...

I'm running around in a Corrado VR6 at the minute and have had it for years, must say the noise never gets boring..... Had a Mk2 2.9 VR a little while back too which sounded awesome... had that well and truly on it's knees on coilovers but it still felt very heavy on the limit and the back could get verrrrry light due to the weight up front.... hence I entered a roundabout rather quickly on one occasion and exited it backwards after some pretty serious lift off oversteer... still smiled all the way home in it though and was sorry to see it go.