3yrs and still find new thing about my car!!

StrmsekS3

Reaction score
Hi all,
well noticed a strange thing on my S3 few weeks back if you hold the unlock button on central locking it opens the front windows lol and if you hold the lock button it closes them lol wtf whats it for? its cool but why have it?
also does it on mates golf GTI and sisters Golf as well though not on the old mans Toyota hilus invincible! just a Vag thing?
Many of you noticed this??

Yep! I discovered the tilt function on the sunroof the other day, I thought it just slid back lol. Also when on tilt holding the lock button closes it too.

Yup, used to have that on my Golf... so tried it on the S3 as soon as I got it and it works just the same. Think it activates on second press and hold, although I cold be wrong as haven't used it since buying the car 10 months ago.

Our A3 aum does it too. I read somewhere that it was done so that on a very hot day you can approach your car hold the button down, the car unlocks and the windows come down releasing the heat inside the car. Also, if you park up remove the key and get out of the car and shut the doors but dont lock it, then after a minute it will lock itself.

DC

its correct about the car locking itself. If you are ever in a dealer for a service or something, you can also ask them to programme it to "blip" when you lock it. Its a standard thing in Germany, but our noise laws prevent it here!

its correct about the car locking itself. If you are ever in a dealer for a service or something, you can also ask them to programme it to "blip" when you lock it. Its a standard thing in Germany, but our noise laws prevent it here!

Have tried setting this with Vag-Com but can't for the life of me get it to work. If anyone knows the secret I'm sure lots of us would love to know it

Yeah i knew mine did it within the first week as i read it in the owners manual :aggressive:

if you park up remove the key and get out of the car and shut the doors but dont lock it, then after a minute it will lock itself.

DC

Really? ive got a A3 1999 and it doesnt do that on mine. Many times ive got out, shut the door, forgot to lock it and gone back an hour later and its still unlocked.

Really? ive got a A3 1999 and it doesnt do that on mine. Many times ive got out, shut the door, forgot to lock it and gone back an hour later and its still unlocked.

If you unlock it but dont open a door it will re-lock itself after about 5mins.

Mine don't do that it ether, but if you unlock the car & don't open a door / boot within 30 sec's it locks it self back up again :)

How u get the sunroof to tilt mate??

If you look at the dial to slid the sunroof back at the back there is a dot, if you push on the dot you'll realise its on a micro rocker switch. At the back its nicely curved to place a finger in the back, push there and should open on tilt.
If you need help I'll go and make a how too. :p

Also had my safety features updated so it locks when you pull off (anti-hijack) & press unlock to unlock just the drivers door :yum:

Have tried setting this with Vag-Com but can't for the life of me get it to work. If anyone knows the secret I'm sure lots of us would love to know it

Have done this myself. I'll see if I can dig out the info I used as I put the "blip" on, the anti-hijack and the remote windows.

Mine does it & i thought im sure i just unlocked the car lol :)

of course but cant beat a sunroof imo! the next S3 will have one!

yep...is there a counter on the headlight washers as mine dont go off all the time...a bit random i know....

Good Question been wondering this myself????

Also i was just saying to the Missus the other day i cant believe the S3 windows don't close when you remote lock the car.. Good old Audi eh i never doubted them for a minute ha ha.. :w00t:

Sunroof is over rated. I thought great, wow a sunroof when I bought my S3, but I hardly ever use it. Interested about the anti-hijack thing, can I get the stealers to do it when I get the MOT next month?

It only locks itself after a minute if you unlock it then don't open any doors. Safety feature in case you accidently unlock the car while putting the keys in your pocket.

It only locks itself after a minute if you unlock it then don't open any doors. Safety feature in case you accidently unlock the car while putting the keys in your pocket.

No i had my alarm updated so it lock when you pull off & press unlock once to unlock drivers door only. It was though Vagcom. Yes the dealer should be able to do this for you :)

Quite easy to do really, i did mine with the shareware version of vagcom took literally 2 minutes to reprogram for the beep on locking and the anti hijack function aswell, you need an app called basecode IIRC. A search should uncover a really useful thread by westle i think it was, full instructions included and a link to the basecode app aswell.

That's the app I used when I programmed mine. Spent the last day looking for it on spare hdd's and back up discs but I found it. :D

EDIT:
Just done a quick search (on the phone as train is delayed ) and the authors/original site appears to be down. I do have the app if its not downloadable any more so can email on or possibly host if demand is high.

Last edited: