Seatbelt/ ECU warning lights - should they come on at ignition?

Ipswich Jules

Reaction score
Morning people, I recently bought a 1.9 TDi A3 (8L) and I've noticed that all the warning lights come on during the ignition process - except the seatbelt warning light (which doesn't come on with the engine running and no seatbelt locked in) and the ECU light doesn't come on either - is this normal? I'm guessing not....

Recently I had to change the MAF and the local indy VW/Audi garage I took it to to get code read said the ECU light should be on, suspecting the seller had removed the bulb I took the dial clusters out and unless I'm mistaken it's not bulbs in holders but surface mounted LED's so it's not quite that simple, I then thought maybe some black insulation tape might of been put over the warning light "window" on the inside but looking at the cluster assembly it looks very tricky to take it apart without having to take the needles off the dials etc, and surely nobody would go to that effort and risk damaging it all for the sake of getting whatever problem sorted?

Or am I being far to suspicious and it's probably something much more straight forward?

Cheers in advance for any help

Jules

The ECU one should come on and go off, but the seatbelt one wont come on, unless its programmed, i noticed I had one a while ago when I did a VAGCOM scan on the car, might be worth doing a scan on your car and do a dash test, that will check all the lights, needles, clocks etc....