mk5 Golf Edition 30 or mk2 s3 ? What to get next

mattyboy199

Reaction score
Thinking about selling up in the year wondering waht to purchase.

The Golf is tunable without major engine work to 330bhp so is the S3 but the S3 will cost more (for a facelift model) & is heavier.

Discuss

At santa pod the s3 mk2 were slower than the ED30 golf both mapped stage2 revo, I would go for the s3 if you have plans for larger turbo at some point, If not then GTi would be a nice one to have. trims on the golf are not as good as the s3 as you would know, but they both hold their values quite well.

i loved my ed30, i had a giac remap and was very smooth, but id have a mk11 s3 for sure over the golf.

I think the edition 30 looks great, the mk6 does look slightly better but they dont have the same potential. With the S3 they are great cars however if you looking at one with options your gonna be paying for them.

hhhmmm it true but you are getting what you pay for. look at it this way, two of my mates have A3 8L with KO4, and two of them have Golf ed25, and they all seem to be quicker than my stage 2 s3, mod for mod I have got the same as them, but then again, when you look at the s3 next to the rest you just dont care how fast they are. as look for me matter just as much. and the sort of trims you would get in any s3 mk1&2 is far better then the equiv golf a3 etc..

They are the exact 2 cars I keep looking at...

I keep thinking perhaps the golf because not only are they cheaper than the equivalent year S3 but it would also have lower mileage.

Only thing that concerns me is do I now take 4wd for granted and would I miss it by getting the Golf.

hhhmmm it true but you are getting what you pay for. look at it this way, two of my mates have A3 8L with KO4, and two of them have Golf ed25, and they all seem to be quicker than my stage 2 s3, mod for mod I have got the same as them, but then again, when you look at the s3 next to the rest you just dont care how fast they are. as look for me matter just as much. and the sort of trims you would get in any s3 mk1&2 is far better then the equiv golf a3 etc..

I totally agree with you there, however i dont think the golf looks terrible. What annoys me most is like you say your mates golf & a3 are faster which is understandable (less transmission losses & weight) but along with the golf & the a3 comes the leon CR, megane F1, Focus RS / ST, Astra VXR, Type R's + many more

yep im looking in the same direction mate, Mk2 S3.......my dilemma is not the golf issue (never really been a contender regardless of speed)

problem i have is that if i get a pre facelift one, ill want a facelift one and will spend thousands trying to make it look FL :( and so i think im gonna wait until i can get one with the angel lights

Leggy totally agree will miss the 4wd drive but it comes at a premium my S3 is getting on now. Add a few options on a used facelift MK2 & your looking at 25k+

I totally agree with you there, however i dont think the golf looks terrible. What annoys me most is like you say your mates golf & a3 are faster which is understandable (less transmission losses & weight) but along with the golf & the a3 comes the leon CR, megane F1, Focus RS / ST, Astra VXR, Type R's + many more

erm type R's wont give a stage 2 S3 any trouble unless turbo'd which would be classed as major engine work....mapped St's 1/4 mile times assume they arent that much faster, Mk1 Focus RS isnt that fast either (ive played with one)...same for the VXR when unmapped, although when mapped its problem isnt speed its the god awful chassis that i personally think is worse than ours!! so all in all you havent really got many problems....god knows what your dreaming about Matt :)

a standard S3 hasnt much chance against all the above (animal) even if their standard.

a mapped S3 has..... i have proven everything i have said above with my stage 1 - i guarantee you

If your struggling with all of the above then your car has sumat wrong with it

I'd have an S3 as they have better interior, hold value, handle & look better. ED30 interior lets it done big time and it would be the only Golf i would own. Most pople would see an ED30 and just think its another GTI. But with the S3 it stands out from any A3. Dont get me wrong the ED30 are good cars, lot cheaper than the S3 and easy to tune.

i think id have to go for an ED30 as S3's are more common, but thats me i like being a bit of an individual but saying that i cant compare as i havent driven any of the 2 cars but i jus like the ED30 over the S3, if i was given one then it would be the S3 but if i had to buy it would prob be the ED30 jus to be different. either way your gona get a good car which ever one you go for

Leggy totally agree will miss the 4wd drive but it comes at a premium my S3 is getting on now. Add a few options on a used facelift MK2 & your looking at 25k+

I know, depressing isn't it, ideally I'd love the new S3 but I haven't and couldn't warrant spending that sort of money on a car...

edition 30's & 25th anniversary golfs do hold there money well. An 08 plate ED30 goes for 18k, an 07 / 57 S3 will go for less with basic options (or none)

There is a nice Ed30 on ph on an 07 plate iirc with low mileage going for 14.5k, the cheapest 8p S3 I've seen with under 40 k is nearer 18k

1932001-6.jpg

interior aint that bad (standard gti)

Last edited:
I had a normal MK5 GTI few weeks ago for a couple of hours and was well disappoint. The interior was rubbish compared to a 8L let alone a 8P. The performance felt quite poor too. I was really disappoint as I was literally going to buy that very GTI as I have always loved the way they look and know how well they take to tuning. But after that, for me I will be waiting till I can afford a S3, was only getting it to run around in till I could get a S3 any but I would defiantly prefer my 8L S3 over a MK5 GTI. A ED30, even though it has more power and more S3 parts and looks a little more aggressive I dont think thats enough for me to have a one over a 8P S3 even if it is a couple of K cheaper.

If your willing to buy a ED30 and spend money on it, stage 2+ is well enough, well I think it would be good but if you want both in standard form, S3 all the way for me.

Nathan

MkV R32 anyone? Keeps the 4wd advantage, sounds amazing and is cheaper than a MkII S3. The only reason I wouldn't consider it (or the Ed30) is that Golfs just don't look as good as S3s and are certainly no match inside. Even the MkIV R32 had a better interior than the V Golfs, and is only 10bhp down on the V R32.

can`t consider a new S3 as its just a s-ine with a better badge imo interior is bang on just a shame they didn`t atler the body work slightly :( . think ill be looking for a porsche in some vain as a replacement for the S3.

I wonder where 8P S3 prices will be in a year or two

That's what I'm waiting for in truth, keep looking at different cars but I think deep down I know it'll be an 8P S3, I still love my current car so will do me for the next couple of years...

MkV R32 anyone? Keeps the 4wd advantage, sounds amazing and is cheaper than a MkII S3. The only reason I wouldn't consider it (or the Ed30) is that Golfs just don't look as good as S3s and are certainly no match inside. Even the MkIV R32 had a better interior than the V Golfs, and is only 10bhp down on the V R32.

Mk V R32 is lovely car, my old chap has the tt 3.2 and as nice and addictive as that engine note is, it does like a drink.

Only reason I wouldn't have one, that and the fact you can't improve the performance cheaply...

i ve been looking at 08 plate ED30's thats the last they made of them then the perelli came along but i m not keen on them.

S3 less than 18k

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1909066.htm

Yeah I see that, forgot about that one lol,

Is very nice, though and I know it's something small but f I was going to be spending that sort of money I'd like the flat bottom steering wheel and an armrest...

Ive driven both mk2 S3 and Golf ED30 both remapped. Golf is fun car to drive load of power but struggled to keep it planted in lower gears i was spining up in 3rd. I would go with s3 just as fun as the golf no probs with keeping power planted and looks like sex.

Agree with the above re getting the power down, especially in the wet. Sometimes it does rain in the UK; especially when you take a day off work to prepare your car for AITP (grrrr!).

I wonder where 8P S3 prices will be in a year or two

probably much like ours before the recession, slowly declining as per normal for an S car...... ive been watching them for the past year and even now they are still not depreciating heavily :(

I think if you compare an 08 S3 with an ED30 cost wise, the S3 is always going to cost more, spotted a blue cat D S3 with flat bottom steering etc last week for 15k :) not what id go for personally

i cant beleive you'd think an R32 is cheaper to run haha :)

I think id go for neither, if you want something thats fast I wouldnt be looking at the golf or the S3, if your after a car with 300bhp+ why not start with a car with that power in the first place?

I think id go for neither, if you want something thats fast I wouldnt be looking at the golf or the S3, if your after a car with 300bhp+ why not start with a car with that power in the first place?

Once I've convinced myself to spend £15+ I'll be looking for an '05/'06 E46 M3 or B7 S4 - both have their pros and cons (lovely V8 vs RWD fun, for example) - and both are dropping in price. I'd just rather have that kind of power in a car the size (and look) of my S3... BT-time maybe?

mmmm thats one nice car ;)

personally though id be wanting newer, i love the RS4 with a passion, but i would want the newer shape if any now ideally if your going to foot service bills like that. Obviously its all about personal preference and what era car you want, i think the difference between ours and the 8P's is quite big, such ashame the 8P S3 doesn't have more individuality

Well gotta say ive had an ed30 for a couple of years now, love and quick but would defo go for the S3 next time. As long as you get the DSG. The interior is not as well made but still good, seats are very supportive. The S3 just seems to be that little bit classier. Mines stage 2 and the difference in speed would not be noticeable.