S3 to Vrs what do think?

BigD-a3tq

Reaction score
its been looming as the S sits on the drive 90% of the time but a new house and baby on the way
(and the missus' nagging) the cons are starting to outway the pros and im thinking of selling.

Ive been looking on AT/PH at Octy Vrs both tdi's and petrols, i haven't driven (or even looked at) either yet just wondering if anyone has had any experience of them?

Are they any good? and do they have any reliabilty issues?

im swayed towards the diesel for the extra MPG and cheaper tax/insurance but coming from an S3 will it seem to slow? i believe the petrol will map be around the same if not more as my current 8L which is tempting! but in reality im not gonna be driving it much, the missus will use it as a daily commuter (and i might get to drive it at the weekends). so speed isn't everything ...well?

Any comments/thoughts/previous experiences welcomed :p cheers!

I like the new Octavia vRs. 2.0 170 diesel. Other 170 engine owners on here say the mpg aint that great though.

not a bad comprimise mate i went from a 265bhp S4 to a 406 hdi estate with all of 90bhp lol work commitments meant I had to commute around the m25 every day so had to part company with my beloved s4. the replacement somehow never had the same affect on me lol but did 38000 miles in a year and some hard use and it never let me down once. Come to think of it I can't even remember putting any oil in it and I certainly never serviced it lol that car saw some real neglect but did what it had to do.
Feel sorry for the person who ended up buying it, I do appologise lol

id personally go for a diesel if the S3 is causing money concerns mate...... unless of course your only doing a couple of thousand miles a year, in which case petrol - some people have assumed LEo FR's which would ordinarily cost you more, your post suggests your wanting a cheaper car yeah?

We've got the Oct VRS mK1 with the AUQ 1.8T engine. I will be passing on the S3 very soon (sniff) and will be using the VRS as the daily driver. We've had the VRS for about 3 years and it has been absolutely spot on as a family car. The boot is huge to accomodate all your prams and bits and bobs. Overall the car is very different to the S3 (naturally) however it is still a lot of fun. Yes you do compromise on the materials used and the layout of the car but to be honest it still drives just as well. I haven't remapped it yet but will be doing so when I get my hands on it - it currenlty has 180BHP so a CC rempa will take it to @ 210bhp. For the mpg it is returning @ 30mpg. Note it is only a 5 Speed in the MK1 (MK2 has 6 spd) this is very strange coming from a 6 spd S3 but you get used to it.

Day to day it is fine to maintain as it is a standard 'VW' engine. The brakes are the same as the S3 (312mm) so changing these hasn't been a problem. The tyres we had were 205/50/17 and these cost a fortune so I moved them all to 225/45/17 and this has saved a shed load (£140 compared to £100). For the servicing I'm taking it in tomorrow to get its major, cambelt and MOT done so will cost a little bit - but it is worth it.

Only minuses is getting used to parking it as it is longer than the S3 - however it does have rear parking sensors which is useful. The brake light switch got faulty easily replaced for a tenner. ONly other faults has been the sticking indicator stalk and the boot gas strut breaking but they are just minor.

I have a mate who had the 2.0PD VRS and it was spot on INTERIOR is much improved and he was getting 45mpg!

TBH the VRS is a really really really good car and I would not hesitate recomending it as a family car. Would I trade it for my S3 - well at this point in time - Yes.