bigger wheels & suspension

pinkys3

Reaction score
just would like a bit of advice on some stuff.
Just got myself a jimmy minter S3 silver facelift 2001 model.
It has the std. 17 Avus wheels but im wanting to go a bit bigger.
I like the RS4 style wheels and thinking about gettting some. Get them polished up as they'd look great on a silver car. Can anyone give some advice with the suspension if your fitting inch bigger wheels?
Also what about 19's ? what have people done to the suspension to cater for 19's ? have you had any rubbing/catchin probs ?
your advice is much needed !

Hi Pinky, Welcome to the Forum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

19's will go on no probs with no catching or rubbing, just stick to 235/35 tyres, no wider! There are a few forum members running 19" wheels with lowered suspension, I'm sure they will be along soon to offer more advice. With the 19" RS4 wheels, I'm sure you can buy them in polished style already, I think the company that does them is ATP.

Have fun modifying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe

I have an A3, lowered with H&R coilovers on 19" wheels. Never had the slightest problem with rubbing etc. The only problem i have is speed bumps as its fairly low

[ QUOTE ]
pinkys3 said:
used to have a relly low mint G60 golf and got it stuck on one of the wide humps , yowwzer ! n had to buy a new sump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be aware...
Lower an S3 too much and you'll risk catching the sump too.
Speedbumps shouldn't bother you, but out on yumpy roads, you can compress the suspension so much that you destroy the engine undertray and buff the low point on the sump plug surround.
I have no engine undertray left on my S3...and the area round the sump plug is well buffed!

I have no problems on speedbumps though...

but, if you actually drive the damn thing...you'll need stiffer dampers to prevent catching the underside...seriously lowered springs and standard dampers is a sure fire way of ensuring you have a sump to replace (at best) at some point.
Mine is only 20-25mm lower...and it used to catch.

Bilstein dampers fitted, and it doesn't catch anymore though...

cheers guys , for the advice.
mmm , its quite weird if your only lowering the cars by 20-30mm , doesnt really seem to be worth it , i thought it would make a S3 look like a roller skate if you had std suspension and 19's !! .
Although the uprated dampers and springs would make it handle better .
can anyone let me know where i can see some pics of S3's with std. ride and 19's
or for the same price i could get some 18's and a suspension package
your help would be much appreciated.