Chrome mirrors for the S3

joesa

Reaction score
Hi guys
Anybody now where I can get a set of chrome wing mirrors for the S3 besides ordering from a dealer.
Are their any sites online that will deliver to South Africa
that I can check out?

Later
Joe

ebay, is the only one that I can think of.

www.ebay.co.uk
ww.ebay.de

ebay.de, normally has a few on it, if you understand the basics in German and can navigate you'll find good prices.

Actually I must confess I was seriously tempted.

I only decided against having them because I have to park my car on the street and anything shiney might attract freelance signature artists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
gtdog said:
Bling Bling!

Whatever floats your boat....
If they mean you will enjoy the car more, who cares what anyone else thinks. You like em, you buy em, you fit them.
Simple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Everythings so black and white with you isn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
gtdog said:
Bling Bling!

Whatever floats your boat....
If they mean you will enjoy the car more, who cares what anyone else thinks. You like em, you buy em, you fit them.
Simple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Everythings so black and white with you isn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't that be Black or Shiny??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Hey Joe

Nice to bump into you again after the Audi Club SA censored and banned my debate contributions from their discussion forum. I notice that it's really boring there of late.

I assume that you are looking for aerodynamically styled sports mirrors to replace the elephant ear windflaps currently on our cars.

The best I have seen thus far is at FK Automotive Deutschland, following upon a lead from an add in Eurotuner magazine for the US distributer.

Having searched a bit so as to avoid having to use a middleman and sending any money Bush's way, I found FK's main site in Germany and lo and behold, an English language version will shortly be available.

The URL is: http://www.fk-automotive.de/ and they even have a photo of one of their chrome sports mirrors on their main page. I know that they have more than one style. Being German, I also expect these to be well made.

I have asked a buddy in Germany to check it out for me and I will let you know when I do. If you follow it up and get the info first (my bud is tied up), please let me know.

Hagus also do a nice style mirror, but they are expensive heated units and I am not sure that chrome is an option. These are 250 Pounds, 300+ Euros or 350+ Dollars. I personally will settle for hand-adjusted, provided the quality is good.

Happy Hunting.

Regards

Stuart

Try KAMEI site (www.kamei.de) and see mirror covers.I bought them and they look exaxtky the same with the original.

Yip , I decided to forget about the Kamei covers after
looking at pics on their site.
Thanx anyways GreekS3 , don't mean to insult you mate.
So the hunt continues,a friend of mine is trying to source
the mirrors for me from VWSA head office at the right price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Holding Thumbs .

Later
Joe

[ QUOTE ]
Joe, don't worry too much about the inconvienience part Since I'm a US DoD employee, I can get the cheaper, US rates to send it, as opposed to the INSANE prices the Deutsche Post wants for packages

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanx Drill,if I get the mirrors from Germany then I will definetely take you up of that offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Maybe you should speak to Carsten and become his delivery agent to South Africa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
had to retro fit my s3 mirrors a bit,which ones did you get as there are 2 types...(pre facelift alu or facelift alu mirrors?)

[/ QUOTE ]

So will either set of mirrors fit my 2002 S3 or do I need to get the facelifted set.

later
Joe

Looks like you'll be needing a facelift set Joe. After 2001 I think all mirrors are facelifted. Good way to check IIRC is to look and see if both driver and passenger side are the same size. Older models had a smaller passenger side mirror.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
joesa said:
Can anybody tell me if this is the facelifted mirrors on EBay.de or can't you tell from the pics alone?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2408815053&category=36682

If it is the facelifted ones them I am gonna bid for them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

am about 98% certain there the facelift ones (same as mine),just make sure ,that you get the plastic parts from the bottom and if poss the mirror glass,(important if your car is pre- facelift!)

best of luck!
HINT:
try leaving your bid till last few seconds,that way you wont get outbid and wont cause the bidding to increase anymore than you have to! just make sure you bid enough to win!! otherwise... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

sly but works....

by the way if your wondering how i think i can tell...where the screw fit is different and they dont protrude out as much,also the space at the bottom of the cases is larger.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
try leaving your bid till last few seconds,that way you wont get outbid and wont cause the bidding to increase anymore than you have to! just make sure you bid enough to win!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, THAT'S how I lost out on the TT exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

One last thing , here in SA the cars are Right hand drive(the steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car) and I think the cars in Germany are Left hand drive.
Does that make any difference or should the same mirrors
fit both LHD and RHD cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Later
Joe

ooooh Good thing you brought that up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif IIRC, the housings are the same, but the actual mirrors, I remember someone saying that THEY are different. Any of y'all Brits know what I'm talkin' about??

yes,shouldnt be a problem at all,as long as the covers are the same shape as the mirror glass (because of the facelift thingy!)
just a straight swap of covers and re use your old mirrors.

Oops, got to thinking about it, if he's got a pre-facelift model and gets facelift mirrors, then he'll need glass for BOTH mirrors, as his passenger will be too small, and the LHD mirrors will put the passenger mirror on his "Drivers" side.
smashfreakB.gif

Right??

Hi Drill

They weight 1.33kg each.
Got the info from a friend that works for VWSA.
He also told me the RHD and LHD mirrors have different part numbers , so I hope they fit.

Later
Joe

Dude, sent you the details /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, try using Babelfish to translate. All you have to do is type what you want to say in the top box, and then translate it from English to German. A lot of times the grammar gets messed up, but it's close enough for Dude to figure out what you're trying to say. I usually strat off by saying that I'm using a translation program, so bear with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Drill

You have mail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Later
Joe

freetranslation
you could also try this web site,translates for you....Ive used it many times to but stuff from my funny speaking german friends..!

congrats on winning also! your car will look blommin lovely,i know mine does! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Did you just reply to what I sent you? I'll give it a few minutes to be sure

[/ QUOTE ]

yip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanx guys , I use the google translator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now if only the seller would contact me on how to him .

Later
Joe