Volks AutosMonster Motorsport

Thread: S3 project

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status

S3 project

Well after many decisions on if im keeping my S3 or not i decided to finally bite the bullet and go for massive power..

As most will know i have Faz`s old S3, the cars is fairly quick (300hp) BUT i want to see big power.. So i popped to see Andy down at Lincoln Volkswagon Specalist in Lincoln.. (2 miles down road from me)

http://www.lincoln-vw.co.uk

He is in process of doing his MK4 Golf at min.. hes put an GT2860 turbo, full exhaust, front mount, genisis injectors revo software etc etc..

So as soon as he has done then mine will be going in, i would like a minimum of 350bhp..

The car already has alot of work done, MTM conversion, AH Fab FMIC, 550cc genesis injectors, Full miltek revo stage 3, so im hoping now to drop the engine and ditch whatever turbo is fitted and go with a GT2871 turbo, andy seems keen to do internals too while the lump is out..

My question being whats the best route to go.. I know some of you guys are running massive power and wondered what works best..

2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I thought fazs old car had 345 bhp anyways?
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    It was probably claimed to, but as with most things, claimed figures and actual are usually very different!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Agreed prawn however there's a massive difference there of 50 odd bhp.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

6th Gear

Status
    "happy dyno" V " True dyno"
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

6th Gear

Status
    RS4 Transplant = only way forward

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah the receipt i got with car claimed 330.. I knew when i took it out, it wasnt 330.. The car made 300bhp 2 months ago, but i want at least another 50 at min..

2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

Quattro ist fĂĽr sissies

Status
    What is a K26 turbo from
    For sale

3" Downpipe and de cat (will be going on ebay soon)
    Autogauge boost gauge
    Chrome Audi Number plate surrounds

PM for info.

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    That was the same question i asked... its off an old skool porsche... thats all i know, which runs an external wastegate off an s2

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    i dont get it, if your prepared to pay for a GT28, why not go the whole hog and get a GT30 which will see the GT28 off easily? IIRC a few members with GT28's have only just outdragged mapped only cars (S3Chris vs Voorhees @ GTI inters)
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Neutral

Status
    why not have your car looked at by someone who knows what they are doing as it once made the power your looking for?
    amd remap,brembo 4 pots,k&n,powerflex mount

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    I dont believe that car ever made that power if im honest... A GT30 has been talked about... Its more internals im interested in, i really want some advice on which is best route to go

6th Gear

Status

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    i dont get it, if your prepared to pay for a GT28, why not go the whole hog and get a GT30 which will see the GT28 off easily? IIRC a few members with GT28's have only just outdragged mapped only cars (S3Chris vs Voorhees @ GTI inters)
    agreed with animal. if youre going that far, why not go for a gt30 and not have to do it again.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I dont believe that car ever made that power if im honest... A GT30 has been talked about... Its more internals im interested in, i really want some advice on which is best route to go
    simples, anything over 300bhp needs new rods
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    simples, anything over 300bhp needs new rods
    I'd go with this, and less. Don't skimp and leave the rods out - BIG mistake. Ł300 will give you the piece of mind.

Standard crank and pistons should be good to Ł400. Replacement valves a good idea.

Have a look at Tuffty's build thread here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...modding-thread
    Last edited by Welly; 3rd August 2010 at 09:33.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I would like to add that through personal experience getting power isn't just about the turbo... OEM hardware has it limitations and to get the most out of a GT30 you will need to change them too... mid 300's is pretty much the limit (give or take plus dyno lottery of course) for reliable power, more with a tad more boost but things get very hot very quickly...

A top mounted GT3071r with all the right bits will produce mid 400's, mines a little different spec to most due to the underslung configuration so I prob won't see that much power but one thing I have learnt during my build is how much the ability to flow air plays a part even with forced induction engines and that more boost isn't always a good thing...

If your target power is mid 300's then there are faster spooling turbos out there than the GT30 but if 400+ is the goal then GT30 but you will need to change more bits to take advantage of the flow it is capable of if you want the power...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks tuffty, everthing noted.

I aint cutting any corners as the engine is coming out... 400 is my goal really... I understand the bottom end needs to be changed. Are valves important to do too????