S3 project

Pat

Reaction score
Well after many decisions on if im keeping my S3 or not i decided to finally bite the bullet and go for massive power..

As most will know i have Faz`s old S3, the cars is fairly quick (300hp) BUT i want to see big power.. So i popped to see Andy down at Lincoln Volkswagon Specalist in Lincoln.. (2 miles down road from me)

http://www.lincoln-vw.co.uk

He is in process of doing his MK4 Golf at min.. hes put an GT2860 turbo, full exhaust, front mount, genisis injectors revo software etc etc..

So as soon as he has done then mine will be going in, i would like a minimum of 350bhp..

The car already has alot of work done, MTM conversion, AH Fab FMIC, 550cc genesis injectors, Full miltek revo stage 3, so im hoping now to drop the engine and ditch whatever turbo is fitted and go with a GT2871 turbo, andy seems keen to do internals too while the lump is out..

My question being whats the best route to go.. I know some of you guys are running massive power and wondered what works best..

It was probably claimed to, but as with most things, claimed figures and actual are usually very different!

Agreed prawn however there's a massive difference there of 50 odd bhp.

"happy dyno" V " True dyno"

Yeah the receipt i got with car claimed 330.. I knew when i took it out, it wasnt 330.. The car made 300bhp 2 months ago, but i want at least another 50 at min..

That was the same question i asked... its off an old skool porsche... thats all i know, which runs an external wastegate off an s2

i dont get it, if your prepared to pay for a GT28, why not go the whole hog and get a GT30 which will see the GT28 off easily? IIRC a few members with GT28's have only just outdragged mapped only cars (S3Chris vs Voorhees @ GTI inters)

why not have your car looked at by someone who knows what they are doing as it once made the power your looking for?

I dont believe that car ever made that power if im honest... A GT30 has been talked about... Its more internals im interested in, i really want some advice on which is best route to go

i dont get it, if your prepared to pay for a GT28, why not go the whole hog and get a GT30 which will see the GT28 off easily? IIRC a few members with GT28's have only just outdragged mapped only cars (S3Chris vs Voorhees @ GTI inters)
agreed with animal. if youre going that far, why not go for a gt30 and not have to do it again.

I dont believe that car ever made that power if im honest... A GT30 has been talked about... Its more internals im interested in, i really want some advice on which is best route to go

simples, anything over 300bhp needs new rods :)

Last edited:
I would like to add that through personal experience getting power isn't just about the turbo... OEM hardware has it limitations and to get the most out of a GT30 you will need to change them too... mid 300's is pretty much the limit (give or take plus dyno lottery of course) for reliable power, more with a tad more boost but things get very hot very quickly...

A top mounted GT3071r with all the right bits will produce mid 400's, mines a little different spec to most due to the underslung configuration so I prob won't see that much power but one thing I have learnt during my build is how much the ability to flow air plays a part even with forced induction engines and that more boost isn't always a good thing...

If your target power is mid 300's then there are faster spooling turbos out there than the GT30 but if 400+ is the goal then GT30 but you will need to change more bits to take advantage of the flow it is capable of if you want the power...

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty, everthing noted.

I aint cutting any corners as the engine is coming out... 400 is my goal really... I understand the bottom end needs to be changed. Are valves important to do too????